The Akron Zoo is looking for a Horticulture Supervisor. This position requires a strong background and experience in horticulture that includes landscape maintenance planning, and park aesthetics and maintenance with proven leadership skills. This position supervises and plans the work of the Horticulture staff.
Supervision of horticulture team; manages horticulture budget & inventory, park and grounds appearance. Prepares reports for management review. Work also includes implementing and evaluating work methods, procedures, and guidelines. Work requires a detailed understanding of Zoo operations. This position must retain a high technical skill level and knowledge in the design, implementation, and maintenance of garden and landscape areas as well as broad knowledge of plant species, their care and uses. Must possess the skills to perform essential job functions with minimal supervision. Must have a strong work ethic and excellent written and verbal skills.
• College degree in related field or equivalent experience required.
• 5 years of progressive experience in horticulture related business
• 3 years as team lead or supervisory experience in a similar campus like facility
• Training on equipment specific to horticulture industry
• Training as a master gardener preferred
• Must have a valid Ohio driver’s license
• Ohio approved pesticides applicator’s license
This is a full-time, salaried (exempt) position with benefits. Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume via e-mail, mail, or fax to: Human Resources, Akron Zoo, 500 Edgewood Avenue, Akron, Ohio 44307; Fax: 330-374-8939; E-mail: HR@akronzoo.org.