Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
As part of the Garden’s growing team, we are seeking a Seasonal Gardener who will tend the Garden’s living plant collections and horticultural displays. This position assists in building gardens and maintaining plants and gardens. The Seasonal Gardener plays a key role in the appearance of Pittsburgh Botanic Garden through their energetic attention to detail, technical skills, and creativity.
This dedicated and reliable individual will bring horticultural knowledge and professional gardening talent to the Garden, implement best stewardship practices, and assist Garden staff with achieving exceptional standards for garden maintenance. Excellent communication skills, respect and integrity are required. Training will be provided.
This position reports to the Horticulture Manager and works closely with other Garden staff members.
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden inspires people to value plants, garden design and the natural world by cultivating plant collections of the Allegheny Plateau and temperate regions, creating display gardens, conducting educational programs, and conserving the environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Perform general garden maintenance such as watering, pruning, planting, mulching, and weeding of the permanent and seasonal plantings.
• Monitor pests and diseases and follow appropriate Integrated Pest Management strategies.
• Operate equipment such as utility vehicles as well as standard garden power tools such as mowers, string trimmers, blowers, and tillers.
• As needed, complete non-horticultural projects that support the Garden’s mission and development.
• Motivate and assist volunteers in the maintenance of gardens and landscapes.
• Assist with special events and other customer service tasks including our winter light festival.
• Weekend duties include caring for the Garden’s small flock of chickens.
• Participate in seasonal activities including bulb planting, garden cleanup and snow removal.
Education and Experience
• Experience in the field of horticulture is required; public garden experience preferred
• Education or training in horticulture or a related field is a plus
• Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas: arboriculture, PA native plants, perennials, fruit trees, container displays, and the common landscape plants of USDA zones 5 and 6
• Demonstrated skills in collaboration and creative problem-solving
• Strength in oral and written communications and the ability to manage multiple tasks
• A passionate commitment to the mission and purpose of the Garden
• Proficient with equipment used in the horticultural trade, including hand tools and small engine equipment
• Ability to follow directions and willing to learn Garden best practices
• Primarily outdoor physical work in all weather conditions with occasional work at special events
• Hourly full-time position: 40 hours per week, 7:00am-3:30pm, Monday through Friday and 8:00am-4:30pm on weekends; weekends are required on a rotating basis.
• Flexible hours will be required for Garden related functions.
• Must be able to traverse moderate to difficult site conditions related to Garden topography
• Ability to stand, kneel, or bend for extended periods and lift 40 pounds
• Exposure to biting/stinging insects, poisonous plants, petroleum products, and horticultural chemicals
• Cell phones and ear buds/headphones may not be used during work hours unless for emergencies or work purposes, this includes taking photos, listening to podcasts & music
• Must possess a valid PA driver’s license
• Must be willing to obtain clearances (Child Abuse Clearance; PA State Police Background Check; FBI Fingerprint Background Check)
Pittsburgh Botanic Garden provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, Pittsburgh Botanic Garden complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Email submissions only. Please send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and two professional references to email@example.com. Please do not include information in email text but include important information for consideration in cover letter content. Do not make multiple submissions. No phone calls please.