Marketing and Communications Manager
274 Old Short Hills Road, Short Hills, New Jersey, 07078
Print Job Details
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Marketing & Communications
The Marketing and Communications Manager (MCM) is responsible for the execution and maintenance of Greenwood’s integrated marketing plan, aimed at raising public awareness of the gardens with the goal of increasing visitation, membership, volunteers, and financial support from donors. The position reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the senior leadership team.
Greenwood Gardens is a treasured public garden, a 28-acre former private estate incorporated as a non-profit organization in 2003 and accessible to the public since 2013. Located in Short Hills, New Jersey, approximately 25 miles west of New York City, Greenwood is an enchanted hideaway, graced with terraced gardens, woodlands, meadows, grottoes, fountains, Arts and Crafts follies, and winding paths. With a mission of connecting people with nature in a historic garden oasis, we are guided in our work by a goal to achieve increased visitation through continued revitalization of the historic features and landscape, heightened educational and entertaining programs and events, and acceptance by the broader community as a singular haven in which to experience peace, tranquility, and well-being. Since undertaking capital projects in 2019 and 2020 in which we added substantial parking capacity; renovated the core portion of the historic garden, including two water features; and revitalized major portions of the landscape, Greenwood’s potential for continued growth heralds exciting opportunities for the marketing of this unique site. The full-time position of Marketing and Communications Manager is key to increasing awareness of what Greenwood offers the public and attracting new visitors, members, donors, and volunteers who ensure our ability to carry out and sustain our mission.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary responsibilities include:
Integrated Marketing Communications Planning
• In collaboration with the Executive Director, ensure continuous planning of Greenwood’s marketing communications strategies and approaches including public relations, social media, e-communications, publications, photography, and graphic design to increase brand recognition.
• Assist in the management of and serve as part of a team that identifies and markets relevant programming delivered by external resources. Create/maintain a multi-channel marketing editorial content calendar.
Development of Marketing Content and Design
• Develop, manage, and produce creative, high-quality content and graphic elements to be delivered across the organization’s marketing channels including social media, email, publications, direct mail, and website, ensuring brand standards are maintained throughout.
• Write, edit, design and/or oversee graphic design and photography resources to deliver marketing communications materials throughout the year that are cogent and visually appealing to Greenwood’s various audiences.
• Serve as an able photographer at ease taking photos and videos of the garden in different seasons and conditions, as well as of the visiting public and special event attendees.
• With website technical consultant, manage and update the website on a timely basis.
Social Media Management
• Comprehensively oversee and manage Greenwood’s approach to using social media platforms, including monitoring online reviews, comments, and messages, responding to each in a timely, appropriate manner.
• Design and manage social media ad campaigns that connect potential visitors to Greenwood/drive traffic to our platforms. Analyze key metrics, updating strategies as needed.
• Develop and expand community and/or influencer outreach efforts.
• Stay abreast of social media trends and modify Greenwood’s approach if necessary.
Research and Analysis
• Track and analyze marketing channel performance/ROI against goals.
• Closely Monitor the marketing budget to allocate funds wisely
• Analyze visitor metrics and adjust email and advertising campaigns accordingly
• Competitive analysis of strategies & activities of comparable organizations
• Conduct research and recommend new platforms and strategies that best deliver on key marketing priorities/messages according to audience interests.
• In collaboration with the Executive Director and department heads, develop relevant pitches to journalists, editors, and media based on editorial calendars.
• Create press releases and media alerts promoting and providing information on the Garden’s activities that are of interest to the public; maintain accurate and current media lists.
• Monitor Google pay-per-click advertising and make improvements, additions, and changes to campaigns as necessary.
• Develop and manage social media advertising campaign, including developing still and video graphics.
Education and Experience
• Minimum of three to five years of related experience in marketing/digital communications, journalism, public relations, or some combination, in the nonprofit and/or public-serving cultural sector such as a garden, museum, or performing arts venue.
• B.A. from an accredited college in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, graphic design, or related field.
• Strong analytical, organizational and project management skills with the proven ability to meet deadlines and accomplish a variety of long- and short-term goals within budget parameters.
• Demonstrated experience creating effective social media content; ability to interact with users and respond to social media messages, inquiries, and comments in a timely and professional way.
• Excellent writing, editing, oral, and research skills a must, as is unrelenting attention to detail.
• Proficiency in photography and experience managing an organizational website as well as experience managing creative freelancers.
• Technology proficiency required – Microsoft Office Suite, social media and video editing tools including email marketing system (MailChimp and Constant Contact); working knowledge of publishing software such as Adobe Creative Cloud suite, Photoshop, InDesign and/or Illustrator (intermediate to advanced level a plus); working knowledge of Google Analytics and AdWords, knowledge of website content management systems (WordPress) and CRM software (preferably Versai) a plus.
• Ability to work in a small, collaborative, entrepreneurial staff environment, and maintain a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and high degree of professionalism.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The compensation range will be discussed in early conversations with candidates who are chosen to interview.
Greenwood Gardens offers a comprehensive and competitive portfolio of benefits, including health insurance, a very generous paid time off policy, and a retirement savings plan.
Greenwood Gardens offers all candidates equal opportunity for employment and advancement based on their qualifications, skills, and competence, without regard to race, religion, creed, gender identity and expression, disability, or other classification or characteristics protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please email your resume along with a cover letter expressing your reasons for applying, two of your relevant writing samples and two samples of your relevant collateral/graphic material to: email@example.com. Include “Marketing and Communications Manager Position” in the email subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Applications submitted using any other method will not be considered. No phone calls please.Application Deadline:
December 11, 2023