Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Under general supervision and in keeping with the mission of Lake View Cemetery, the Horticulture Manager directs the work of the horticulture department by researching, developing, and implementing the landscape plan for the entire cemetery, including specific lot design according to client wishes.
Founded in 1869 by pioneering leaders of Cleveland, Lake View is one of the largest and most beautiful garden cemeteries in the United States. Lake View Cemetery comprises 285 acres and is located within the municipalities of Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, and East Cleveland, and adjacent to the exciting University Circle arts and culture district. Lake View is committed to preserving the cemetery, recognized on the National Register of Historic Places and a Level II Certified Arboretum, as a historic and active burial ground that creates a welcoming environment for bereaved families and visitors alike.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Directs and supervises the horticulture crew in the implementation and maintenance of the landscape plan, including the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, and ground covers.
• Approaches all tasks with an awareness of and concern for potential ecological consequences and benefits.
• Researches, designs, and develops landscape plans.
• Assists in the preparation of budgetary recommendations; maintains supply inventories and operational records.
• Speaks to the public and conducts tours of the cemetery grounds highlighting horticultural aspects of the cemetery.
• Assists in maintaining arboretum status by identifying and labeling plant collections and keeping computerized plant records.
• Coordinates and oversees appropriate outside contractual work.
• Observes good housekeeping and safe work habits, follows cemetery policies and procedures, and performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field and three to five years management experience.
Minimum Requirement: Associate’s degree with at least four years’ experience in horticulture or related field and at least two years management experience.
Landscape design experience is a benefit.
• Broad hands-on knowledge of standard horticultural practices including but not limited to planting, fertilization,
pruning, integrated pest management and landscape design.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
in a diverse community.
• Knowledge of plant identification and care, normally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree in
horticulture, plant and soil science, botany, or a related field.
• Knowledge of and ability to operate various types of hand and power-operated tools and equipment.
• Landscape design experience preferred.
• Working knowledge of a variety of computer software applications used for record keeping and presentations (i.e.:
MSWord, Excel, Treekeeper, etc.)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
• Well-developed customer relations skills.
• Must be able to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and juggle
competing tasks and demands.
• Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
• Must have a valid Ohio drivers’ license.
• Possession of a Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s license or ability to obtain one within 6 months from date of hire.
• Frequently works outside in varying weather conditions.
• Must be able to work on feet for extended periods of time.
• Ability to lift, carry, and push at least 50lbs.
Send resume to Marilyn Brandt, COO:
or Lake View Cemetery
12316 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, OH 44106
March 1, 2024