Employment TypePaid Internship (Full-time)
The Horticulture Intern is expected to carry out the responsibilities of the job in ways that support NEBG at TH’s mission and to its commitment to creating a diverse and welcoming organization.
• Being welcoming to all staff and the public
• Be respectful of staff differences and preferences
• Use gender neutral communication styles
• Respect everyone’s pronouns
• Make efforts to support a diverse work force.
The Horticulture Intern will report on a day-to-day basis to the Director of Horticulture or their designee. The intern will gain valuable hands-on experience in ecological horticultural practices, including indoor and outdoor display garden maintenance, groundskeeping, record-keeping, and basic plant care. In addition, the intern will be given time and technology access during the workday to develop a project presentation that will complement their related personnel interest. The final presentation will be given to interested NEBG staff. NEBG will also plan to make at least one informational field trip available to the intern to provide a complementary experience at another public garden or similar venue.
Preference will be given to those candidates who have some or all the following qualifications:
• One or more years of college-level course work in horticulture, propagation, botany, landscape design, plant conservation, or other plant-related field, or equivalent experience.
• Previous work experience in a nursery, greenhouse, or arboretum/botanic garden or in park maintenance.
• Career plans in the fields of horticulture, landscape architecture, or another plant-related field.
• Responsible and self-motivated.
• Preference for summer internships is given to those who can begin in May and commit to three full months.
• Works with an awareness of surroundings and vigilant to any possible threat to the safety of staff and the public, or to Garden property. Ensures all concerns are reported promptly to supervisor.
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds repeatedly.
• Must be able to work indoors in conservatory conditions and outdoors in all seasonal extremes.
• Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, stand, and walk for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to work with appropriate tools and machinery.
• Must be able to work with standard communications equipment and office technology and software.
• Works with an awareness of surroundings and vigilant to any possible threat to the safety of staff and the public, or to NEBG property. Ensures all concerns are reported promptly to the Director of Horticulture or their designee.
• Reports all accidents and injuries immediately to an immediate supervisor and/or Chief Financial & Operations Officer, or designee.
• Complies with provisions of the current Employee Handbook, all published personnel policies, and the requirements of the job description.
The Horticulture Internship position is full-time temporary and non-exempt. The standard work schedule for this position is approximately 40 paid hours per week, either Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday through Thursday; however, the schedule may be flexible to suit the needs of the organization, will involve weekend hours, and may involve evening hours. Work is performed both indoors and outdoors, and the Horticulture Intern may be asked to assist with event administration in both indoor and outdoor roles.
New England Botanic Garden at Tower Hill believes diversity in nature promotes a healthy, vigorous garden. We believe that diversity among our staff promotes a healthy work environment and a vigorous organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe in diversity of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ability, and all the other traits that make us unique. New England is an equal opportunity employer.
Hourly Rate $16.50
Please submit Resume and Letter of Interest through: https://nebg.isolvedhire.com/jobs/Application Deadline:
April 19, 2024