Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Reports to: Director of Horticulture, Curator of Living Collections, General Manager, and President
Bellefontaine (www.bellefontainecemetery.org) is a 314-acre historic, non-profit cemetery. Founded in 1849 and considered one of the premier historic cemeteries in the United States, the cemetery is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is well known for its rich history and architecture, and engages the public through tours, lectures, and events. Bellefontaine is also a Level III arboretum with large specimen tree collections, added to annually. Dozens of annual, perennial, and native gardens are spread throughout the cemetery. Under its Master Plan, the cemetery is committed to preserving and enhancing its landscape, and recently constructed the first of several phases of new memorial Gardens, installing over 16,000 plants and 68,000 bulbs. With over 100 acres of undeveloped land, the cemetery has great potential for horticultural development. Landscape programs are supported by an endowment as well as by cemetery sales and gifts raised through the Friends of Bellefontaine.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Annual and bulb design, installation, and subsequent removal; also, including plant purchasing and inspection of materials upon arrival.
• Maintenance of existing beds and annual installations to include but not limited to weeding, mulching, fertilizing, irrigation management, and transplanting.
• Maintenance of trees and shrubs, young and mature, utilizing accepted cultural practices with regards to pruning, mulching, fertilizing, etc.
• Assist in the design, installation, and maintenance of new tree plantings.
• Routine scouting for pests and diseases with an emphasis on utilizing IPM principals on the property. Bellefontaine Cemetery & Arboretum prefers natural and biological alternatives compared to conventional solutions if appropriate. Use conventional herbicides to manage weed pressure with cultivated and natural areas in a safe manner.
• Communicate with staff regarding lot plantings/tree pruning for funerals and/or lot owners, and general lot landscaping, providing knowledgeable consultation for plant choice and planting site.
• Provide knowledgeable consultation to grounds staff regarding landscape maintenance, as needed.
• Communicate regularly with the General Manager and other BCA Staff regarding grounds developments, new installations, tree care, etc.
• Manage exotic invasive species, and assist in the development of short and long-term management plans.
• Maintain and update Bellefontaine Cemetery & Arboretum’s tree database in TreeKeeper.
• Interact with local and national horticultural societies and organizations, seeking out learning opportunities and professional development.
• Provide greens and flowers for green burials
• Irrigation scheduling and maintenance.
• Supervise volunteers including regular volunteers, volunteer workdays, and community service work, with the ability to clearly convey technical information.
• Assist in walking tours and other information tours about horticulture at Bellefontaine.
• Other duties may be assigned when needed for events, meetings, etc.
• Promote Bellefontaine through offering/participating in workshops, tours, and cemetery events, and upon occasion interacting with radio, print or television media.
Education and Experience
· Must hold a valid driver’s license
· Must have a high school diploma
· Must provide a professional appearance and manner to both internal and external constituents
· Similar experience of at least one year is required
· Must have 2+ years experience in Microsoft Office Suite
• Ability to compose e-mails to communicate professionally with Bellefontaine staff, volunteers, and outside organizations
• Will be required some evenings, weekends, and overtime
• Other functions and special projects may be assigned
Director of Horticulture, Curator of Living Collections, General Manager, and President
· Adheres to Company Core Values and follows Company Code of Conduct.
· Ability to lift and carry up to 75 lbs. unassisted
• Requires walking, bending, standing, reaching, and other physical activities for extended periods of time
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold
Competitive compensation package to include: a competitive base salary range of $47,000-$49,000 and excellent benefits.
Must undergo and pass a physical, including a lift test, and background check before employment
Job Type: Full-time