Herb Garden Curator
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
The Garden is currently seeking applicants for the position of Herb Garden Curator. The extensive Herb Garden is comprised of both a formal gaerden featuring traditional herbs arranged by usage and a woodland section displaying ethnobotanical plants from around the world. The ideal candidate is a knowledgeable and experienced horticulturist to
lead and oversee our herb collection and display beds. Persons applying for this job must already have a strong knowledge of herbs, and more importantly, a passion for sharing this knowledge with our visitors and fellow staff.
Memphis Botanic Garden is a 96-acre garden in the heart of urban Memphis featuring 30 display gardens and a wide array of educational programming and community events.
Duties & Responsibilities
The largest part of this position is the day to day garden maintenance tasks. This
includes tasks such as: weeding, pruning, mulching, planting, trimming, etc. We work
in all weather conditions so you must be able to do physical labor in both the hottest
part of summer and coldest part of winter.
● Prepare and give educational presentations and write articles on topics pertaining to
your focus area.
● Work well with the general public as well as organize and lead volunteers in
● Working with our Education Department to develop educational programming for
adults and the over 40,000 children from school groups that visit the Garden each
● Act as a liaison between MBG and volunteers and organizations such as the local Herb Society
Education and Experience
This is not an entry level position. You must have a related degree or at least two years of relevant
experience in an area directly related to this position. You will be asked general horticulture questions
pertaining to gardening practices and herbs in your interview, and you need to be able to demonstrate a
good level of foundational knowledge.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field
● At least two years experience or more in a directly related professional horticulture position
and/or equivalent verifiable experience and training in herbalism
Work Culture Expectations:
You will be part of a team of passionate and hardworking staff. We support each other and work
closely together, at times for long hours, often in tough conditions. The ability to have a positive
attitude, work hard, get along with co-workers is as important as your horticultural knowledge and
skill sets. You will need to bring a positive attitude and energy to our workplace culture.
● Ability to stand for long periods of time
● Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up
to 50 pounds
● Ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, balance
● Ability to work in outdoor environment, including exposure to heat, cold, humidity & allergens
● May be required to perform tasks at varying heights requiring ladders
● Hearing and visual acuity including close, distance, color, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus
Typical Working Conditions:
● Regularly works outdoors in both hot and cold conditions
● Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions
● Occasionally exposed to risk of fumes, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals
(appropriate PPE will be provided)
● Often exposed to loud noise levels
● Must submit to and pass a background check and drug screening.
● In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity
and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment
eligibility verification form upon hire.
● Must be able to work 40 hours per week between the hours of 6 am and 5 pm, Monday
Compensation is $17-19 an hour and is commensurate with education, skills, and experience. Full
benefits package offered including health, dental, and vision insurance plans, paid sick leave and paid
vacation, 10 paid holidays annually, and a 401k match program.
If interested, please email resume, cover letter, and at least three professional references to Daniel Grose, Director of Horticulture, at email@example.com.