Guest Services Manager, Membership
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Descanso Gardens seeks a Guest Services Manager, Membership to ensure a welcoming and positive
experience for all visitors. This position will be responsible for all aspects of customer service related
to public admissions at the garden, focusing on supporting efforts to broaden and increase
membership to help achieve the institutional mission of “connecting people with nature and one
another.” An active member of the front-line customer service team, the Guest Services Manager will
hire, train, and manage a team of Guest Service Representatives and support a team of Guest Service
volunteers. Working across teams, this position will create, update, and execute processes and
procedures that support Descanso’s diverse audience and dynamic operations. The successful
candidate will have the ability to make decisions with empathy, creativity, and good judgment while
supporting the Descanso mission, visitor satisfaction, and a positive work culture.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The hours and needs vary by season and are based on the needs of
the store and the gardens. The gardens are open 364 days/year with extended evening hours in Spring
and Summer and evening programming in Fall and Winter. This position requires weekend and evening
Descanso Gardens is a botanical garden, museum, and urban oasis 20 minutes from downtown Los Angeles. We are gardeners, fundraisers, guest services associates, and more — working as a team to connect people with nature and one another. Learn more about the mission of Descanso Gardens.
Duties & Responsibilities
● Ensures excellent customer service and positive visitor experiences that encourage repeat
visitation and ongoing engagement with the gardens.
● Leads the day-to-day operations of the Visitor Center, admissions and ticketing, Boddy House,
Sturt Haaga Gallery, large-scale seasonal events (Carved and Enchanted Forest of Lights),
Enchanted Railroad, and Information Station.
● Supervises and trains Guest Services staff.
● Coordinates, trains, and supports Guest Services volunteers.
● Oversees staff scheduling and assists with anticipating and managing seasonal fluctuations in
● Work closely with Advancement and Membership teams to support excellence in member
experiences, effective messaging about membership, and growth of membership program.
● Leads efforts of the Guest Services team to implement member-related initiatives including an
on-site membership table.
● Coordinates across departments to support programs, including school programs, special events
and rentals, public programs, Gift Store programs, development events, member programs, etc.
● Maintains a well-informed working knowledge of Descanso’s operational needs, botanical
collections, exhibits, programs, guest amenities, and services for ongoing training of staff.
● Maintains a procedure guide for all operations within Guest Services.
● Develops and maintains a high proficiency of Descanso’s POS system (Altru) and other systems
used for operations and institutional communication.
● Works with the Chief Operations and Administration Officer to execute strategic planning and
short- and long-term goal-setting for the Guest Services department.
● Participates in cross-departmental working groups.
● Represents the Guest Services department at events and meetings.
● Assists with yearly reports, evaluation of departmental performance, and staff performance
● Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
● 3–5 years of demonstrated managerial experience in a hospitality, retail, or customer
service setting required. At least one year experience in a museum or cultural institution
● 2 years sales, cash handling, scheduling, and customer service experience required.
● 1 year managing staff required.
● 1 year working with volunteers preferred.
● Must have experience working in a fast-paced team environment.
● Experience in daily retail transactions, reconciliation, and reporting.
● Other critical attributes include the highest level of professionalism, maturity, and discretion;
highly developed organizational skills; ability to problem-solve quickly and effectively; and
strong interpersonal communication skills with diverse audiences.
● It is essential that the candidate has the flexibility and capability to function effectively with
staff, team members, trustees, volunteers, vendors, and the public.
● It is essential that the candidate supports inclusion, diversity, equity, and access goals.
Experience working with related ideas and initiatives a plus.
● Must possess the ability to motivate and engage others.
● Must be willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
● Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, based on
the operational needs of the gardens.
● Experience with Altru or other Blackbaud POS systems highly desirable but not required.
● Intermediate knowledge of Gmail, Google Calendar, Google docs, and Volgistics highly desirable.
● Bilingual (English/Spanish or another language) preferred but not required.
● CA driver’s license required.
EQUIPMENT USED and PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
● Computer, cash register, phone, credit card processing machine, calculator, copier, printer,
hand-held (two-way) radio and golf cart.
● This position requires flexibility to work in an office and an active outdoor environment which
includes public interaction, exposure to various noise levels, and other distractions throughout
● Must be able to cover long distances and on occasion access various areas of the
Gardens including areas not accessible by paved roads or dirt trails.
● Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of a shift.
● This position requires lifting 15 pounds.
● Ability to work outdoors as needed.
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a MS Word or PDF Letter of Interest and
Resume to email@example.com with GS2023DEC in the subject line. We will accept
resumes until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Foundation acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee and applicant will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, genetic information, protected military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.Application Deadline:
March 28, 2024