Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
This position is responsible for maintaining Seed Savers Exchange’s facilities, grounds, and equipment. In the winter months, this position helps in our Seed House with order fulfillment duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Provide building maintenance including cleaning restrooms and maintaining janitorial supplies in assigned buildings.
● Responsible for monitoring temperature in coolers and freezers.
● Responsible for chlorine testing of water system.
● Assist with construction projects.
● Provide assistance for event set up and tear down.
● Provide support to contractors as required.
● Assist with driveway maintenance as required.
● Maintains daily care of Ancient White park cattle herd as needed.
● Assist with herd health checks biannually.
● Assist with livestock fence maintenance as required.
● Perform preventative upkeep and repairs of trucks.
● Perform tractor maintenance and repairs as required.
● Perform small equipment maintenance and repairs as required.
● Perform implement maintenance and repairs as required.
● Assist with trail mowing and upkeep as required.
● Other duties as assigned by the Facilities Manager.
Seed House Duties & Responsibilities: January – March
● Fill retail seed packets by hand, as well as assist with machine packing
● Picking and packing seed packet orders for shipment
• Mechanical aptitude
• Detail Oriented
• Ability to multitask
• Enthusiastic team player
• Flexibility to work between various teams
• Ability to perform physical activity: lifting up to 100 lbs. assisted; carrying 50 lbs, bending frequently, climbing, pushing, pulling.
• Ability to perform responsibilities in wide ranging weather conditions.
Must have a valid driver’s license. Must be an enthusiastic team player, have good attention to detail and be flexible to work between various teams as labor needs fluctuate. Some aspects of the position will involve considerable physical activity including lifting, and other motion related to general facilities and grounds maintenance. Applicant should have sufficient mechanical aptitude to be able to run and troubleshoot garden equipment. Individual will be required to work special event weekends.
-Paid holidays & PTO
-Long Term Disability & Life Insurance (paid for by the company)
-Employee merchandise discounts
-Wellness program with annual stipend and paid day off
-Medical, dental and vision coverage available
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Seed Savers Exchange is a non-profit organization based in Decorah, Iowa focused on conserving and promoting America’s culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations.
$17 per an hour
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references as a single PDF to email@example.com – include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Peggy Miller | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.