Director of Finance
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Administrative & Finance
Bellingrath Gardens and Home invites applications for the Director of Finance position. This position comprises a key leadership role within the organization. The selected candidate will be responsible for conducting the fiscal functions of Bellingrath Gardens and Home in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices. This position is responsible for accounting functions, contracts, insurance, employee benefit programs, security, and IT for the organization. This position serves as a direct report for accounts payable/human resources, accounts receivable, security, and IT. The Director of Finance serves as the recording secretary of the governing board foundation, the Bellingrath Gardens and Home Foundation. The salary range for this position is $84,000 to $97,000.
Bellingrath Gardens and Home is the historic 65-acre estate and home of Walter D. Bellingrath and Bessie Morse Bellingrath, opened to the public in 1932. The Bellingrath-Morse Foundation was established by Mr. Bellingrath in 1949 on his 80th birthday to perpetuate the Gardens and Home as a “permanent and fitting memorial” to his wife’s “artistry and genius.” Today, visitors to Bellingrath Gardens and Home stroll through the vibrant and ever-changing estate garden and tour the historic home, built in 1935 and filled with the original furnishings and pieces collected by the two founders. Bellingrath is Alabama’s oldest public garden, remaining relevant today through its many varied programs, including its award-winning “Magic Christmas in Lights” holiday festival.
Duties & Responsibilities
● Review all submitted timesheets for employees; approve payroll prior to final payroll processing
● Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the board of directors; assess any changes necessary
● Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director
● Administer and review all financial plans and budgets. Monitor progress and changes, and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status
● Manage and report on organizational cash flow and forecasting
● Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements
● Review, update and implement all necessary business and accounting policies procedures, and document and communicate throughout the organization in manuals and written policy
● Implement and improve all systems related to merchandise/food sales and inventory and related processes
● Effectively communicate and present any/all critical financial matters to the Executive Director
● Support and assist in the implementation of strategic goals and objectives
● Responsible for overseeing benefits administration including insurance, workman’s compensation, file management, PTO, activation of coverage, etc.
● Prepare and present financial reports and minutes for board meetings
● Supervise the following positions: AP/HR (full time) and Security Guards, Accounts Receivable, and IT (all part time)
● All other tasks and duties as assigned
Education and Experience
● 5+ years of related professional experience, including progressive growth of responsibilities and accomplishments over career in the field of finance
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
● Experience working with accounting software
● Proficiency in MS Office Suite
● Strong leadership, relational skills
● Excellent written and verbal communication
● Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team
● Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles in the nonprofit field
● Ability to think strategically, bigger picture while still maintaining a keen focus on detail
Bellingrath Gardens & Home is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other legally protected basis under applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Bellingrath Gardens & Home makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Send cover letter, current resume, and a list of three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org.Application Deadline:
November 30, 2023