Assistant Director Arboretum
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Development & Membership
Coordinate the design and implementation of education programs, based primarily on arboretum plant collections and natural areas, for professionals, adults and college students. Lead plant collection walks and participate in other educational programs. Oversee volunteer programs. Assist in meeting priorities and goals consistent with the arboretum mission and cultivating membership.
Connecticut College exists in a singular environment known as the Connecticut College Arboretum, which offers a quality of life and a conservation classroom unique among liberal arts institutions. The Arboretum’s very diverse 750 acres include the landscaped grounds of the College campus as well as the surrounding plant collections, natural areas and managed landscapes.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Oversee the arboretum education program to include organizing, scheduling and promoting events (conferences, meetings, lectures, workshops, walks, tours, etc.).
2. Develop and teach programs that target adults in the community, natural resource and design professionals, teachers and Connecticut College students.
3. Collaborate with other arboretum staff to develop content for web site, print media and other communication outlets.
4. Supervise volunteer program to include recruiting, coordinating work/event assignments and volunteer recognition.
5. Assist with public relations by providing/developing educational materials and interacting with the public.
6. Assist with membership program including recruiting new members, sending membership renewal notices, collecting dues and personal contact with members.
7. Provide work direction to department coordinator, student workers and volunteers.
Education and Experience
1. BA/BS in botany, plant science, horticulture or closely related field required with 4 to 5 years of experience in an educational role.
2. Knowledge of horticulture/botany/natural history and/or education program content with strong knowledge of temperate woody plants and regional native plants.
3. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
4. Ability to interact well with a variety of people from all aspects of the college and community.
5. Proficient computer skills.
6. High integrity needed to handle confidential information.
7. Knowledge of general office equipment.
8. Attention to detail.
9. Well-organized, able to work under pressure, plan and accomplish goals.
10. Some travel required for conferences.
Driving Required No
Salary Range $52,000-$54,000
Covid Vaccine Information
Effective June 8, Connecticut College will no longer mandate the COVID-19 vaccine or boosters. The College strongly recommends that all students and employees be vaccinated and remain updated with their COVID-19 boosters
Thorough applicant credentialing will be conducted on the selected candidate which will include criminal records check, DMV check and depending on the position psychological exam and pre-placement physical.
Application InstructionsApplication Deadline:
December 31, 2023