Increasingly over the last 20 years there has been alarm and concern over the historic lack of diversity in U.S. nonprofits. A recent BoardSource study cites that 84% of nonprofit board members are white. The universal persona of a major donor is often white and male. Despite long- term concern, growing awareness of multiethnic wealth and philanthropy, and many studies, very little has changed in board and major donor diversity. This training concentrates on practical methods for identifying and approaching diverse major donor and board prospects who share a passion for your organization and mission. This process focuses on building powerful relationships with diverse people of expertise, wealth, and influence. This is the counter to tokenism.
- Upon completion of this live, online training, you should be able to:
- Assess the diversity of your nonprofit
- Create a prospecting plan of potential donors and board members
- Explain key talking points to generate buy-in from board members and staff about embarking on a path to greater diversity
- Articulate your organization’s value in a manner that resonates with diverse community members