Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Under limited supervision, responsible for overall landscape maintenance and supervision of staff for specific garden area. Oversee efficient productivity and timely completion of duties in assigned areas. Physically perform garden labor. Work in all weather conditions. Contribute to team effort.
• Duties and Responsibilities included but are not limited to:
• Physically perform general landscape maintenance for specific garden area, including planting, mowing, weeding, watering, fertilizing, spraying, doing minor irrigation repairs, pruning, pest control, trash removal, and trimming, according to written maintenance and safety standards.
• Supervise garden crew, volunteers, and interns assigned to area. Contribute to team effort.
• Establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis under the guidance of the Senior Horticulture Manager.
• Train and develop gardeners and landscape assistants in garden area to increase their knowledge of plant materials and landscape maintenance.
• Train, evaluate, and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner.
• Assist with plant record keeping and labeling for assigned garden area.
• Provide technical assistance when required.
• Responsible for securing all equipment at the end of the day and notifying supervisor of any supply needs.
• Apply pesticides (when trained) using appropriate safety procedures as provided and according to departmental policies and procedures; supervision provided.
• Monitor irrigation system and pump systems (where applicable), repair minor problems, and report malfunctions.
• Assist in group and special projects as required.
• Assist with educational and research projects as required, example: horticultural demonstrations during special events.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills
• Ability to work flexible hours as needed, including nights, weekends and Holidays.
• Ability to effectively organize work flow for timely completion and develop staff to work as a team; maintain professional work ethic.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; repetitively bend/stoop, move across property and work in all weather conditions and follow approved safety guidelines.
• Texas driver’s license required to operate garden vehicles.
• One year related garden/landscaping experience and experience with or knowledge of Texas perennials preferred; knowledge of irrigation systems and other water features desirable. Supervisory experience desirable. Texas Certified Pesticide Applicators license preferred.
• Bachelor of Science in Horticulture or related field (may accept Associate’s Degree and three years related experience).
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to:
Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens
Olga Estrada, Horticulture Coordinator
8525 Garland Rd., Dallas, TX, 75218