Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Longwood Gardens, Inc., a world premier horticultural-display garden, has an opening for a full time conservatory gardener to take charge of the Orchid Collection. This is the largest taxonomic collection at Longwood. They will join 7 other gardeners who manage over 4000 taxa in 3.5 acres of conservatories that make up the centerpiece of Longwood’s world-renown displays.
- all aspects maintaining and displaying the 6,500 plants of 2,000 orchid taxa
- assisting other gardeners
- ordering supplies
- receiving and delivering plants
- periodic weekend, holiday, and evening duty is required
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Horticulture with emphasis on conservatory collections
- working knowledge of greenhouse technology, environmental control systems and irrigation
- two years of experience managing plants in a greenhouse.
The ideal candidate will have strong organizational and communication skills with experience working as part of a team. Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to obtain a Pennsylvania Pesticide Applicator’s license and a forklift operator’s training certificate.
We offer an excellent starting salary and an outstanding benefits package. Please mail your resume with salary requirements to: Longwood Gardens, Inc., Human Resources, P.O. Box 501, Kennett Square, PA 19348. Fax (610) 388-2079 or e-mail- email@example.com. To find out more about job opportunities at Longwood Gardens please refer to our website, www.longwoodgardens.org. EOE.