Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014
The Morris Arboretum is a historic public garden and educational institution. It promotes an understanding of the relationship between plants, people and place through programs that integrate science, art and the humanities.
Description: The seasonal gardener reports to the Azalea Meadow Horticulturist, and is responsible for a broad range of garden maintenance activities for the ongoing care of the woody and herbaceous plant collections and turf areas. The seasonal assists in the management of various specialty gardens including: the Swan Pond, springhouse garden, Hill and Water Garden, Garden Railway and other areas. This is a 29 hour per week, seasonal position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Properly care for perennials, annuals, shrubs, and trees in the Azalea Meadow section
- Identify and properly control weeds
- Demonstrate pruning skills and assist in the ongoing care of the Arboretum's woody plant collection
- Use proper techniques for planting, mulching, and edging
- Take part in watering plants and containers on a daily basis
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper pesticide use as part of the Arboretum’s IPM program--handling, mixing, applying and clean-up of pesticide equipment
- Safely and effectively operate small machinery and vehicles (golf cart, mowers, string trimmer, turf aerator, blowers, etc.)
- Train, supervise and work with volunteers as necessary or as required
- Demonstrate attention to detail with all garden tasks that enhance the Arboretum’s public image
- Perform additional duties as requested
- A strong academic background in horticulture or closely related field with course work or a very strong interest in herbaceous and woody landscape plants
- Be able and willing to follow directions and work independently, as well as supervise and work as part of a team.
- Be able and willing to communicate with Arboretum visitors
- Be able and willing to work in all weather conditions
- Be able and willing to lift at least 25lbs and perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions.
- A valid driver's license is required
Date Available: June 2014
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Anthony Aiello, Director of Horticulture and Curator, the Morris Arboretum, email@example.com