Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Senior Gardener, Conservation Garden
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2014
Lauritzen Gardens is in the process of building a Conservation Garden that will adjoin the newly constructed Conservation wing of our Administration Complex. The Conservation Garden will represent endangered botanical eco-systems from around the region and focus on the display and conservation of rare and endangered plant species. The garden will also include a state-of-the-art bioswale to control water runoff from the Administration buildings and parking hardscape.
Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture the Conservation Senior Gardener will be responsible for the care of all horticultural aspects of that landscape. Some plants that will be included in the design are grasses, rock garden species, endangered tall grass prairie plants, species indigenous to the sand-sage prairie region, and other native species. This gardener will also be responsible for the entirety of the landscape surrounding the Administration building which includes non-native trees, shrubs, and a small annual color bed.
This is a new position for the garden and as such, the exact responsibilities and scope of work are still being determined. Additional responsibilities may include the care and maintenance of non-native gardens that would include: perennials, trees, shrubs, herbs, vegetables, etc. In the future, this position may also assume responsibility for the care and maintenance of the prairie surrounding our Parking Garden, the native/non-native woodland areas surrounding the entire garden, and the native forest of our Woodland Walk. Depending on the final scope of work of this position the Senior Gardener may be required to effectively supervise of one or more gardeners.
Like other employees at Lauritzen Gardens, this Senior Gardener will be expected to participate in other duties as assigned including, but not limited to: snow removal, as a parking lot attendant during festivals, weekend or overtime work as needed, special event staffing, etc.
Essential Candidate Qualifications/Experience:
• The Conservation Senior Gardener must have at least 3 years experience in a garden or natural habitat setting.
• This professional must have excellent horticultural skills and be able to maintain the landscapes and plants under his or her care to the highest standards.
• Excellent pest and disease identification and treatment skills; IPM experience is preferred.
• Excellent native plant identification and management skills; to include pruning, planting, soil mixing, fertilization, winterization, shade management, etc.
• Familiarity with principals of conservation and native habitat management preferred.
• Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and year-ahead planning skills.
• The Conservation Senior Gardener must be able to work cooperatively within a team of Gardeners and Senior Gardeners.
• He or she must be comfortable supervising interns and volunteers on a daily basis.
No relocation expenses provided.
For inquiries and to submit resumes please contact Laura Kastl, Director of Human Resources at 402-346-4002 ext 201 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the job position you’re applying for in your email.