Public Garden Career Center - View Job
La Cañada Flintridge, California
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014
Reports to: Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations
Descanso Gardens is seeking a Gardener who will be responsible for garden maintenance including landscape, waterscape and hardscape duties in collection zones; participates in, and may lead, group work days; and, supervises volunteers. Reporting directly to the Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations, this position interacts with staff, Guild members, volunteers, interns and garden visitors.
This is a full-time position that may include evening and/or weekend hours depending on the needs of the organization.
- Responsible for planting, fertilizing, irrigating, staking, pruning, removing plants, and other general gardening duties, including IPM, as assigned.
- Responsible for prioritizing and accomplishing daily individual assignments, as assigned.
- Participates in group work projects.
- Coordinates with Horticultural staff to determine best course of direction for control of weeds and pests.
- Learns plant identification and botanical names, as appropriate.
- Responsible for maintenance of tools, water features, and hardscape, as assigned.
- Identifies items in the landscape that need attention and brings to staff attention through written work order forms.
- Coordinates with volunteers and oversees their activities.
- Participates in monthly safety meetings. Responsible for adhering to Descanso Gardens’ guidelines for worker safety.
- Adheres to established Code of Safe practices when performing various jobs duties which also includes the safety of staff, visitors, volunteers, and communicates any hazard concerns as needed.
- Completes yearly IPM training to stay current with proper and safe use of weed control techniques and equipment.
- Completion of other job related duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This position is responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of a full range of standard manual and power gardening equipment and tools, including hedge trimmer, extendable gas-powered tree trimmer, soil tiller, compactor, seated lawn mower, bypass pruner, loppers, chain saw, folding saw, or any other related tools. Position may require operating knowledge of heavy equipment such as bob cat and tractor. Position requires operating knowledge of computers, standard office equipment, vehicles and two-way radios.
This is an outdoor physically-orientated and demanding position which requires:
- Ability to move equipment to various locations within the Gardens which may not be accessible via motor vehicle.
- The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- The ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive vehicles, and climb ladders.
- Exposure to various noise levels on a daily basis.
- Working outdoors in inclement weather, including cold, rain and heat, as well as nighttime conditions.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Must demonstrate a strong knowledge of plants, general landscape maintenance, planting techniques, pruning and other general horticultural practices.
- Two years’ work experience in a garden setting, required.
- Some horticultural course work, desirable.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills
- Must demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Individual must be able to work unsupervised and to see projects through to completion.
- Must be able to work individually and work well in a group.
- Valid Class C California Driver’s License, required.
Compensation: $11.00-12.50 per hour, depending on experience
To apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Gardener0514 in the subject. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.