Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Garden
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Garden seeks a part-time Collections Assistant responsible for thorough and accurate documentation, care and safety of all Conservatory permanent and temporary collections. The position coordinates all aspects of incoming and outgoing object/exhibition loans and supports the protection, maintenance and upkeep for the exhibitions on display.
• Oversee the care of the Conservatory art collections, traveling exhibitions and loans
• Update and ensure the ongoing accuracy of electronic and hard copy collection management records, including object location and condition information, internal and external object moves as the result of loans, exhibitions, storage, and relocation
• Schedule transport for incoming and outgoing loans
• Complete condition reports for incoming and outgoing loans
• Coordinate and assist with the transportation of objects to and from the Conservatory’s storage facilities, including scheduling of packing and shipments; installation, de-installation of collection pieces
• Create reports as needed for Directors and colleagues
• Play a supportive role with the Exhibition Department’s ongoing plans and projects
• Research and respond to collections inquiries and donations
• Associates degree required, BA or BFA preferred.
• Minimum one year experience working with collection databases in a cultural institution
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of museum standard registration and art handling procedures
• Knowledge of current national and international art packing and transportation methods conforming to insurance and legal regulations
• Excellent computer skills, Microsoft Office suite and collections management databases
• Understanding of museum procedures including registrar duties, traveling exhibit coordination, packing and shipping of art work
• Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills to effectively communicate with a wide range of constituents, including ability to communicate effectively in writing and in presentation/sales situations
• Strong organizational and project management skills to effectively prioritize and achieve deadlines on multiple projects.
• Must possess the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Attention to detail is essential.
• The ability to be flexible schedule and adapt quickly to changing priorities and deadlines is essential.
Additional Information: This is a permanent, part-time position in the Exhibitions department working 24-28 hours per week. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.