Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Fairchild Challenge Program Coordinator
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden seeks a talented and motivated individual to join The Fairchild Challenge team.
The Fairchild Challenge is an innovative, multidisciplinary approach to science education and has proven to be a replicable model that identifies and encourages talented young scientists through multidisciplinary method and competition. The overarching goal of the FC is to create environmentally aware and motivated students to become solution-oriented stewards of the environment. The program is comprised of a menu of multidisciplinary, point-earning activities (called challenges) that allow students the opportunity explore environmental issues and scientific concepts. Last year, the Fairchild Challenge enrolled more than 130,000 diverse PreK-12 students internationally.
The Fairchild Challenge Program Coordinator is responsible for:
• plan and implement engaging program activities and activities for the middle and high school Fairchild Challenge;
• communicate effectively through oral and written/electronic means with teachers, administrators, students, and community partners to convey program information;
• develop all of the curriculum materials related to challenge activities including but not limited to resource materials and rubrics.
• present Fairchild Challenge related programming and activities
• conduct research and evaluation Fairchild Challenge projects
• work as part of the Fairchild Challenge team, assisting wherever possible
• work with volunteers
• develop and facilitate professional development workshops for teachers and students
• other responsibilities as determined by the Manager of the Fairchild Challenge and the Director of Education.
The Fairchild Challenge Program Coordinator is:
• an education professional interested in plants and the environment who is dedicated to furthering environmental science education
• highly organized and proactive in anticipating and solving logistical details
• comfortable leading, teaching, and speaking to diverse groups of people
• proactive in anticipating and troubleshooting program details
• an effective oral and written communicator
• some knowledge of or experience with the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards, National Education Framework and the Benchmarks for Science Education
• proficient with basic computer skills, and able to learn new programs as required
• able to participate effectively with research/evaluation efforts
• a team player with a strong work ethic
In addition to these primary skills, the person in this position must possess a dedication to and interest in cultivating knowledge of research-based education, strong organization skills, ability to balance multiple projects, and close attention to detail. Some evening and weekend work is required.
A bachelor’s degree in Biology or Science Education required. Some teaching experiences a plus.
This position reports to the manager of The Fairchild Challenge, and works closely with other education staff as a fluid team.
Established in 1936, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is an 83-acre scientific and cultural institution. Fairchild is known locally and internationally for its extraordinary beauty and as a place for inspiration and learning. Our mission is to save tropical plant diversity by exploring, explaining and conserving the world of tropical plants; fundamental to this task is inspiring a greater knowledge and love for plants and gardening so that all can enjoy the beauty and bounty of the tropical world.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to Marion Litzinger, Fairchild Challenge Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.