Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Naples Botanical Garden
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014
Position Title: Irrigation Intern
Reports to: Associate Director of Horticulture
Position Summary: This internship provides a unique opportunity for a student interested in gaining hands-on new landscape installation experience at an expanding botanical garden in the Southwest Florida area, with specific emphasis on irrigation. The student will be working side-by-side with professional garden staff, contractors and volunteers as we install new gardens on our construction site. The intern will learn the details of a Hunter two wire irrigation system, including how to install, repair and choose parts for the system. The student may also have responsibilities among the existing garden areas including landscape beds, turf grass, water gardens and nurseries.
• Work under the direction of the horticultural staff and assist with all aspects of horticultural activities.
• Work with the Irrigation Technician as he maintains the existing irrigation system and installs the new irrigation system on the construction site.
• Work on and present to horticulture staff an internship project to be assigned by the Associate Director of Horticulture that will benefit both student and garden.
• Other duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Horticulture.
Requirements of Internship:
• The successful candidate will participate in a 16-week, full-time (40 hours/week) paid internship
program starting in June and ending in September. Start/end dates can be adjusted.
• The prospective candidate should have or be pursuing a degree in Horticulture (preferred), Landscape Architecture, Biology, Botany, Environmental Studies/Sciences or related field at the undergraduate or graduate level, or have demonstrated interest and ability relating to horticulture.
• The prospective candidate should be highly motivated and well organized with a strong work ethic, in addition to being willing and able to physically work full days outdoors in hot and humid environments. The job involves extensive digging and the ability to stand for long periods of time. The candidate must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs., climb ladders, bend, kneel, and move in and out of irrigation trenches.
• The successful candidate must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and will be required to undergo a background check prior to beginning the internship.
• The candidate should have a working knowledge of MS Office software and the ability to read blueprints. GIS training is a plus.
To Apply: Please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more about Naples Botanical Garden, please visit our website at www.naplesgarden.org.
Naples Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a long-standing policy of employment and advancement based solely upon qualifications to perform the essential elements of a position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin (ancestry), or disability.