Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Senior Gardener, Tropical House
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014
Senior Gardener, Tropical House
This is an amazing opportunity to be a part of the debut of a new 17,500 square foot conservatory. Lauritzen Gardens of Omaha, Nebraska is in the process of building what will become the crown jewel of the region’s cultural landscape. This beautiful conservatory will consist of three distinct houses. The entrance to the conservatory is a large temperate house designed in the style of a Charleston or Savannah courtyard garden. This house is unique in the nation in that it will go through a cold period in the winter to mimic the dormant season of the southeastern states. The next, and largest, house is a highly designed tropical house. The Tropical House will be beautifully landscaped and maintained in a formal – as opposed to jungle – style. The house will contain waterfalls, a large koi pond, and a pond dedicated to year-round Victoria Water lily cultivation. The third house will be a gallery space and terrace that will display prized collection plants including orchids, bonsai, begonias, etc. on a rotating basis.
Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture the Tropical House Senior Gardener will be responsible for the care of all horticultural aspects of the landscapes in the Tropical House and Gallery. Some plants that will be included in the design are palms, cycads, tree ferns, anthurium, ginger, etc. The mechanical and building aspects of the conservatory will be the responsibility of the maintenance department; in-depth mechanical, irrigation, and electrical knowledge will not be necessary skills for the Senior Gardener candidate.
This position will be responsible for the supervision of one full-time gardener who will assist in all aspects of the job. Additionally, the Tropical Senior Gardener will need to work cooperatively with the Temperate House Senior Gardener in the holistic care of the Conservatory landscapes. Like other employees at Lauritzen Gardens, this Senior Gardener will be expected to participate in other duties as assigned including, but not limited to: snow removal, as a parking lot attendant during festivals, weekend or overtime work as needed, special event staffing, etc.
Finally, the Tropical House Senior Gardener will be responsible for the maintenance of plants in two dedicated support greenhouses. These greenhouses are approximately 30’x 60’ each and are not open to the public. They house plant collections intended for use in the Tropical House, Gallery, and in other parts of the garden according to the season.
Essential Candidate Qualifications/Experience:
- The Tropical House Senior Gardener must have at least 3 years experience in a tropical garden setting. Additional experience in a conservatory is preferred. Production greenhouse experience will not be considered, unless the experience primarily focused on tropical production.
- This professional must have excellent horticultural skills and be able to maintain the landscapes and plants under his or her care to the highest standards.
- Excellent pest and disease identification and treatment skills. IPM experience in an interior setting is preferred.
- Excellent tropical plant identification and management skills; to include pruning, planting, soil mixing, fertilization, shade management, etc.
- Familiarity with Victoria Water Lily cultivation.
- Familiarity with koi fish care is preferred.
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and year-ahead planning skills.
- The Tropical House Senior Gardener must be able to work cooperatively with the Temperate House Senior Gardener and 18 outdoor gardeners.
- He or she must be comfortable supervising a gardener, interns, and volunteers on a daily basis.
No relocation expenses provided.
For inquiries and to submit resumes please contact Laura Kastl, Director of Human Resources at 402-346-4002 ext 201 or email@example.com. Please include the title of the job position you’re applying for in your email.