Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Senior Gardener, Temperate House
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014
Senior Gardener, Temperate House
This is an amazing opportunity to be a part of the debut of a new 17,500 square foot conservatory. Lauritzen Gardens of Omaha, Nebraska is in the process of building what will become the crown jewel of the region’s cultural landscape. This beautiful conservatory will consist of three distinct houses. The entrance to the conservatory will be through a large temperate house designed in the style of a Charleston or Savannah courtyard garden. This house is unique in the nation in that it will go through a cold period in the winter to mimic the dormant season of the southeastern states. The next house will be a large, highly designed tropical house. The third house will be a gallery space and terrace that will display especially prized conservatory plants including orchids, bonsai, begonias, etc. on a rotating basis.
Under the supervision of the Director of Horticulture the Temperate House Senior Gardener will be responsible for the care of all horticultural aspects of that landscape. Some plants that will be included in the design are live oaks, crepe myrtles, camellias, boxwood, etc. The mechanical and building aspects of the conservatory will be the responsibility of the maintenance department, so in-depth mechanical, irrigation, and electrical knowledge will not be necessary.
Like other employees at Lauritzen Gardens, this Senior Gardener will be expected to participate in other duties as assigned including, but not limited to: snow removal, as a parking lot attendant during festivals, weekend or overtime work as needed, special event staffing, etc.
The Temperate House Senior Gardener will also be responsible for the highly specialized maintenance of our bonsai collection while they are both on and off display. This care will include potting, watering, pruning, fertilizing, training, etc. The best candidate for this job should have experience in bonsai care.
Finally, the Temperate House Senior Gardener will be responsible for the maintenance of plants in a dedicated support greenhouse. This greenhouse is approximately 30’x 50’ and is not open to the public. It houses plant collections intended for use in the Temperate House and in other parts of the garden according to the season. Like the Temperate House, the support greenhouse will be maintained with a cold dormancy to mimic a zone 8 region.
Essential Candidate Qualifications/Experience:
- The Temperate House Senior Gardener must have at least 3 years experience in a temperate garden setting. Additional experience in a conservatory is preferred. Production greenhouse experience will not be considered.
- This professional must have excellent horticultural skills and be able to maintain the landscapes and plants under his or her care to the highest standards.
- Excellent pest and disease identification and treatment skills; IPM experience in an interior setting is preferred.
- Excellent temperate plant identification and management skills; to include pruning, planting, soil mixing, fertilization, winterization, shade management, etc.
- Familiarity with bonsai care.
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and year-ahead planning skills.
- The Temperate House Senior Gardener must be able to work cooperatively within a team of 2 other conservatory gardeners and 18 outdoor gardeners.
- He or she must be comfortable supervising interns and volunteers on a daily basis.
No relocation expenses provided.
For inquiries and to submit resumes please contact Laura Kastl, Director of Human Resources at 402-346-4002 ext 201 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the job position you’re applying for in your email.