Public Garden Career Center - View Job
High Glen Gardens
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014
High Glen Gardens
High Glen Gardens
High Glen Gardens is a private, 60-acre, newly-developed estate in Frederick, MD with approximately 10 cultivated acres of formal gardens, including a perennial border, rose garden, annual beds, wetland area, greenhouse, Japanese garden, Mediterranean garden, vegetable garden, cutting gardens, English cottage garden, hawthorn orchard, and extensive perimeter plantings. 2014 will mark an exciting new era at High Glen Gardens as we begin the implementation of a new master plan to take the garden public. Other plans for the 2014 season include beginning work on a new landscape installation for a property on the Chesapeake Bay, the implementation of new database and mapping software, and several small- to mid-scale garden and design projects at the estate.
Peter Couchman, Head Gardener, oversees the gardens and manages the staff of full-time and seasonal horticulturists and interns.
- We are seeking an experienced, highly qualified Lead Horticulturist.
- This will be a full-time, year-round position with competitive salary and benefits, including medical and dental insurance contribution, retirement plan contribution, life insurance contribution, paid holidays and flexible time off.
- The Lead Horticulturist reports directly to the Head Gardener, and will supervise three to four horticultural staff on a daily basis.
- This is a 40+ hour per week position, with occasional weeknight and weekend work as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- planting, maintenance, irrigation and fertilization of garden beds and containers in assigned garden areas to a superior quality
- design of annual beds and seasonal containers in assigned garden areas
- ongoing care of annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, vines and tropicals using best practices
- weed control
- formal hedge maintenance
- vegetable gardening
- garden renovation and bed amendment
- greenhouse maintenance and limited propagation
- IPM with limited chemical pesticide application in accordance with all federal and state laws, regulations and safety policies
- maintenance of clean and organized work and storage spaces
- plant display labeling
- proper utilization of basic landscape tools
- operation of small machinery and vehicles (golf cart, Bobcat, mowers, chipper, tractor, cultivator, tiller, 1-ton truck, etc.)
- irrigation repair and maintenance
- occasional weeknight and weekend work as needed, including greenhouse maintenance, snow removal, storm clean-up and special event support
- recordkeeping (including horticultural notes and pesticide applications) and database updates using BG-Base and BG-Map software
- periodic inventories of tools, fertilizers, pesticides, etc.
- limited turf care
- limited public interaction, including garden tours and workshops
- flower arranging
- installation of seasonal decorations (fall displays, holiday lights and displays, etc.)
- other related work as needed, such as furniture and equipment maintenance, painting, etc., or as requested by the Property Manager
- valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- ability to lift 50 lbs. and to perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions
- minimum 2-year horticulture or closely related technical degree from an accredited college or horticulture program
- minimum 3 years high-level horticulture and supervisory experience
- Maryland State Pesticide Applicator’s Certification Category 3A or ability to obtain one within 90 days of employment
- ability to follow directions and work independently, as well as supervise and work as part of a team
- highly motivated and active self-starter
- flexibility to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize and juggle competing tasks and demands
- skill in garden and floral design
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- basic experience with vehicle maintenance, mowing, construction and irrigation
- High Glen Gardens is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Candidates who are offered employment are required to submit to a drug screening at the start of employment. Satisfactory completion is a condition of continued employment.
- proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- knowledge of BG-Base and BG-Map software
- ability to speak Spanish
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to:
Peter Couchman, Head Gardener
Visit us at www.facebook.com/highglengardens for more information.
Questions? Please call Peter at 301.514.9741
UNFORTUNATELY, OVERSEAS APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNLESS THEY ARE ALREADY RELOCATING TO THE AREA AND ARE AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S.