Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Norfolk Botanical Garden
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013
Position type: Full-time hourly employee, 40 hours per week.
Description: Performs all aspects of Nursery maintenance in assigned areas to set a standard of horticultural excellence for the Hampton Roads area.
Maintain Nursery plant inventory with horticultural procedures including organization, watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, fertilization, and pesticide application. Train and supervise assigned horticulture staff and volunteers. Assist propagator during heavy workload periods. Work closely with curators, gardeners, and plant records. Assist in teaching classes and support special events as requested. Has the ability to work outside for 8 hours in heat, cold, light rain and can continuously walk, stand, bend and/or stoop. Has the ability to push, pull and/or lift 50 pounds during working hours.
Education and Experience:
Proficiency with Plant Identification preferred. Previous experience in commercial/retail Nursery preferred. Requires minimum of A.A.S. degree in Horticulture or related field and 2 years of practical experience in horticulture, or a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field plus one year of practical experience. Excellent communication skills and strong organizational ability. Must have or obtain a Virginia Pesticide Applicator certificate within 6 months of hiring. Must have a valid Virginia driver's license.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
1. Perform duties required for growing container plants: water, prune, deadhead, weed, fertilize, transplant, spray, and organize.
2. Work closely with Plant Records Keeper to maintain accession records during plant moves in and out of Nursery compound.
3. Complete periodic inventories of Nursery stock.
4. Meet with Propagator and Director of Hort. to decide best course of plant care.
5. Scout plants and compound areas for insect, disease and weed problems, research appropriate solutions and provide treatment.
6. Apply and spray fertilizers, amendments or pesticides.
7. Prepare appropriate growing media for tropicals, perennials, shrubs, trees.
8. Transplant/up-pot plugs, liners, bare-root and full-size plants.
9. Operates small engine equipment safely. (weed-eater, blower, etc.)
10. Uses and maintains hand tools and equipment responsibly. (pruners, loppers, hand saw, backpack sprayer, etc.)
11. Operates large motorized equipment safely. (Golf cart w/trailer, pick-up truck, mini-loader, etc.)
12. Provide detailed task lists to Assistant during periods of absence.
13. Involvement in year-long Plant Sale selections and preparations.
14. Assists with special events and other duties as assigned.
15. Strong knowledge of MS Word and Excel necessary.
Reports to: Plant Propagator
Starting Salary: Preferred candidate may receive hourly rate commensurate with experience or education, beginning at $9.00 plus benefits
Submit Resume to: email@example.com, or fax to Brian O’Neil 757.441.5825