Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Director of Public Programs
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013
Director of Public Programs
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Public Programs is a member of the senior management team and is responsible for administering, developing, promoting and evaluating the education programs for Tyler Arboretum.
• Provide leadership, direction, management; develop immediate and long term plans to continue to develop a robust education program designed to meet the needs of various community constituencies.
• Supervision of the full-time Youth Education Coordinator and part-time Educators. Youth programs include school field trips and outreach programs that serve approximately 7,000 students per year, 8-week summer camp, youth and family public programs, scouts, and eco-birthdays.
• Supervision and oversight of Public Programs Assistant with responsibility for public programs for adults (part-time).
• General oversight of Visitor Services, including supervision of Visitor Center Coordinator and Associates (5 part-time).
• General oversight of the volunteer program and supervision of the Volunteer Coordinator (part-time).
• Oversight of Vegetable Demonstration Garden and supervision of part-time seasonal Vegetable Gardener.
• Oversight and coordination for the Butterfly House and volunteers.
• Interpretation of Arboretum living collections, displays, and exhibits. Creation of informal visitor learning experiences for children and adults.
• Work closely with other Arboretum staff to achieve organization growth. Assist with organizational planning, fundraising, special events, other interdepartmental projects and initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree, MS preferred in Education, Museum Studies, Horticulture or Public Garden Management.
• This position requires thorough knowledge of the public garden field with particular emphasis on educational leadership, visitor services, and volunteer management.
• At least seven years experience in public garden educational operations, including success in developing innovative educational programs, experience with interpretive signage and brochures, and experience working with volunteers.
• Skill in supervising and managing diverse organizational and staff activities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the organization.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and communication skills.
• Computer proficiency along with basic Microsoft Office products.
• Salary is commensurate with education and experience; comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
• Applications will be accepted until September 4th. For full consideration, send a letter addressing pertinent qualifications and interest in the position. Please include your resume, a writing sample and the name, address and phone number of three references.
Rick Colbert, Executive Director, Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063. Fax 610-891-1490, email email@example.com .