Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Plant Propagator/ Nursery Technician
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Posted: Monday, July 1, 2013
RANCHO SANTA ANA BOTANIC GARDEN
1500 North College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711-3157
Phone 909-625-8767 · Fax 909 626-7670 · www.rsabg.org
TITLE: Plant Propagator/Nursery Technician
STATUS: Exempt – Full time Position
REPORTS TO: Director of Horticulture
The Plant Propagator/Nursery Technician is primarily responsible for the propagation and production of a large number of native plants grown for RSABG plant sales and general sales at Grow Native Nursery in West Los Angeles. This position will work at RSABG’s Veterans Garden located in West Los Angeles. This is an excellent opportunity to work with unique, rare and often times challenging native plant material available only to Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSABG). Additionally, the Plant Propagator/Nursery Technician is responsible for accomplishing various other nursery operations tasks such as general care and maintenance of the nursery plants and facilities. The Plant Propagator/Nursery Technician may be occasionally responsible for temporarily managing the retail nursery facilities, personnel and volunteers in the absence of the Grow Native Nursery Manager, or as designated by the Grow Native Nursery Manager. Additionally, this position may occasionally offer the opportunity to aid in providing plant propagation classes and other workshops to the general public, to join other RSABG staff on field trips and various conferences and lectures, and to aid in field collections on day trips around Southern California.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Propagates and produces native plant material in 4 inch, 1 gallon and occasionally other size containers for RSABG’s plant sales and retail nursery sales as directed via cuttings, seeds, division, etc.
- Works closely with and supervises part-time Veteran employees participating in job-training program .
- Nursery work (watering, labeling, potting-up, mixing soil, pruning, weeding, cleaning, raking, removal of dead plants, disposal of used soil, general clean-up, etc.) as necessary or as directed by the Nursery Production Manager.
- Maintains accurate and complete daily records documenting all propagation efforts, stratification procedures, germination testing procedures and soil mixes for the Garden’s computerized plant records system.
- Accomplish directed and self-initiated experiments and prepares results for publication in appropriate journals.
- Must rigorously follow and maintain established scientific and horticultural protocols.
- Must be responsible for care and watering of the Nursery area for one weekend day each week.
- Must spray insecticides, fungicides, etc. (in greenhouse nursery area) as directed by the Nursery Production Manager.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s level degree in horticulture or in another plant science and/or demonstrated appropriate hands on experience.
- Must have knowledge of California native plants and their horticultural requirements.
- Knowledgeable of the pests and diseases of California native plants grown under nursery conditions and their appropriate biological and/or chemical controls is strongly desired.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and the internet are required.
- Must possess or acquire a State of California Qualified Applicator Certificate.
- Must possess a California State Drivers License.
- Basic Greenhouse maintenance experience (irrigation installation and maintenance, basic hoop house set-up and maintenance) strongly preferred.
- Candidates displaying strong public speaking skills (leading classes, working with groups of volunteers) and self-starters are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and walk long distances to various outdoor locations.
- Must be able and willing to work outside in inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to maneuver in narrow or confined places around fragile plants.
- Must possess ability to operate powered heavy equipment.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
RSABG offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates please send cover letter and resume to:
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Attention: Scott LaFleur
1500 N College Avenue, Claremont, CA 91711
Fax to (909) 626-3489
Positions closes: July 31, 2013