Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013
TITLE: Communications Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Visitor Services
STATUS: (July 1, 2013 to be exempt) Full time position
REPORTS TO: Director of Visitor Services
The communications specialist is responsible for media relations, public information and institutional marketing programs and initiatives designed to increase visitation, revenue generations and awareness of Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSABG) and its mission.
- Together with the director, staff, volunteers, trustees and overseers, develops the messages by which RSABG is to be known and perceived by its communities.
- Markets and promotes the Garden, its facilities and events to appropriate audiences utilizing mass media, social media, press releases, direct mail, newsletters, website, etc.
- Develops and maintains connections with businesses, organizations, local and regional governmental agencies and officials to increase awareness of the Garden and its mission.
- Serves as a member of the committee and works with director of visitor services and manager of volunteer programs to promote offsite outreach events including community tabling, fairs, expos, and other promotional opportunities, and provides promotional resources to those volunteers for public distribution.
- Designs, installs and manages on and off-site promotional and informative exhibits featuring the Garden and its programs.
- Markets event offerings to positively impact visitation, related revenues and the Garden’s image.
- Manages inquiries for information and photographs for news and editorial requests.
- Develops and utilizes on-going strategies that promote RSABG such as improved signage, collaborative mailings, etc.
- Assists the director and senior management in preparation of speeches, op-ed pieces and other documents.
- Serves as the primary web editor and works with web management committee to ensure consistency among website and related social media sites, consistent with RSABG marketing efforts.
- Works with staff, graphic designers and printers to produce brochures, postcards, posters, and other printed materials.
- Provides graphic design for selected seasonal marketing pieces, advertisements, exhibit signage, banners, and other printed materials.
- Provides editorial guidance for RSABG publications.
- Measures, on a continuous basis, the effectiveness of the Garden’s communications programs.
- Serves as RSABG’s spokesperson.
- Networks and maintains connections with other events and media-related professionals in the industry and community.
- Assists Visitor Services staff with planning and implementation of selected RSABG events and programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Required 3-5 years direct experience in public relations, media relations, marketing or related field; knowledge of advertising, printing and productions. Degree in related field desired.
- Demonstrates ability to be creative and to use traditional and novel approaches toward marketing and community outreach. Must be able to formulate new ideas/directions to achieve desired goals.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of graphic design for producing printed materials.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both within and outside the organization; and to work well with others in a team situation.
RSABG offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.