Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Manager of the Everett Children's Adventure Garden
New York Botanical Garden
Bronx, New York
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Manager of the Everett Children’s Adventure Garden
The New York Botanical Garden, a National Historic Landmark and one of NYC’s premier cultural institutions, seeks a Manager of the Everett Children’s Adventure Garden to join their Education department.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Manager of the Everett Children’s Adventure Garden (ECAG) is responsible for the overall management of ECAG, including oversight of ECAG school, teen, and family programs, to ensure a rich educational experience for all visitors.
- Manages all aspects of the Everett Children’s Adventure Garden including administering policies and procedures to improve operations and interactions with other Garden departments.
- Develops and supervises the creation of authentic, inquiry-based science and nature programs for the Adventure Garden .
- Manages the program coordinators and exhibit staff in the Children’s Adventure Garden.
- Supervises all temporary, seasonal and permanent exhibits, and interpretation for ECAG.
- Consults with horticulture staff to insure Adventure Garden plantings are engaging, appropriate, and educationally relevant.
- Communicates with other departments to integrate Garden-wide programs and events with Adventure Garden goals/ objectives.
- Assists with education grants that relate to informal outdoor science education at the Adventure Garden.
- Represents the Garden at local and national education conferences, when necessary.
- Maintains statistics on all programs that occur in the Children’s Adventure Garden.
- Writes annual year-end reports for the Children’s Adventure Garden.
- Schedule includes one weekend day.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred.
- Experience working with elementary school children and teens in informal science environment.
- An ability to speak with authority about how children learn.
- Must be creative and passionate about teaching informal science education to children through hands-on, inquiry-based methods.
- Knowledge of New York City, New York State, and National learning standards in science.
- Must be extremely articulate.
Excellent benefits including 4 weeks vacation a year, 401k savings and pension plans, paid sick days and holidays, free employee parking on premises and more!
The New York Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer