Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Gardens & Grounds Assistant
Myriad Botanical Gardens
Oklahoma City, OK
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012
Job Title: Gardens & Grounds Assistant
Department: Horticulture, Full-Time
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Myriad Botanical Gardens is a beautiful and unique 17-acre botanical garden and urban park located in downtown Oklahoma City. In addition to outdoor gardens, the Gardens also feature a 10,000 sq. ft. tropical plant conservatory. The Myriad Gardens Foundation is the 501c (3) private nonprofit organization that manages the Myriad Botanical Gardens. It has an annual operating budget of $4 million and a staff of about 50 full and part-time employees.
In 2009-11, the Gardens underwent a complete transformation thanks to a private and public investment of nearly $45 million which enabled the Gardens to re-envision and redesign the entire outdoor and facility spaces in order to create more open and accessible downtown space with a variety of new facilities, features and garden areas to create a world-class public garden and urban park space.
The exciting design features include: new garden areas including a native plant and lakeside gardens, lakeside gardens, shady tree groves, a children’s garden, a variety of water features (of which several are interactive for children) a restaurant, a children’s playground, dog park, open air stage and band shell for the performing arts and a seasonal ice rink.
This project is a cornerstone in a larger city-wide urban renewal effort to upgrade infrastructure and add green space and a variety of recreational, athletic and cultural and tourism-related elements (including museums, parks, gardens, sports arenas and more) that enhance the quality of life for residents and to help attract more businesses and visitors to the region. Oklahoma City has gained national attention as a model for dynamic and successful urban renewal planning.
DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB:
This position is located at the Myriad Botanical Gardens and requires working both outdoors and inside the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. Laborers perform semi-skilled grounds maintenance and/or janitorial duties which may involve the use of power driven tools and equipment. Employee follows specified procedures in performing single or multi-task assignments, and may work as a member of a crew with other staff or volunteers or work individually. Essential job functions may include: assist in indoor/outdoor horticulture maintenance in a public garden; watering, weeding, and transplanting; operating, inspecting, and maintaining equipment; emptying trash; skimming lake; application of products related to flowerbed maintenance such as fertilizers and pesticides; filling assigned work orders; and completing safety and work status reports on a daily basis. The worker will perform maintenance tasks related to ornamental plants such as installing plants, proper pruning and watering, and repair of plant irrigation systems, observe and remember details, establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. The worker must be able to assume responsibility for following all procedures and guidelines related to safety, safe operation of equipment, and equipment maintenance tasks. The necessary skills, knowledge, and ability and/or licenses and certifications to perform specific tasks must be acquired prior to assuming the duties of the position. Work quality and compliance with established policies and procedures are reviewed by a supervisor through visual inspection of results and observation of work in progress. Daily assignments are received verbally and/or in writing from the supervisor. Employee must maintain a friendly, polite, service oriented demeanor and interact with the public when appropriate.
· Professional work ethic
· Skill in using various types of tools
· Skill in following procedures used to repair or replace various items
· Ability to perform preventive maintenance repairs
· Ability to use work aids and hand/power tools
· Ability to work flexible hours as needed
· Ability to work with others
· Ability to follow safety procedures, rules and regulations
· Ability to make independent decisions
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions
· Valid driver’s license
PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONS:
· Outside; continually exposed to heat, cold, humidity, dust, etc.
· Indoors in a tropical conservatory, exposed to humidity
· Exposed to plant and tree pollens, bee or wasp stings, poison oak, ivy, or sumac and/or other allergy causing agents
· Subject to working on or around slippery surfaces such as wet sidewalks, mud and oil
· Exposed to hazards due to lifting, cleaning, and using tools and/or equipment
· Will work near moving objects such as traffic and equipment
· Exposed to toxins and chemical irritants such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, etc.
· Strength enough to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 95 pounds such as trash and equipment
· Stamina enough to exert oneself physically throughout the working day
· Extent flexibility and gross body coordination enough to bend, twist, or reach out to load and unload trucks; etc.
· Near and far vision enough to see oncoming traffic and to use equipment with which one is working.
· Hearing enough to understand a conversation in noisy environment and to determine location of traffic
· Speech enough to communicate clearly and distinctly with co-workers and supervisor
Position: Non-exempt position reporting to Director of Horticulture
Benefits: Dental Insurance and 401K matching
To apply: Please send a resume and three letters of recommendation to: email@example.com. Or mail to: Myriad Gardens Foundation, 301 W. Reno, OKC, OK 73102
Job is open until filled.