Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Director of Adult Education
The New York Botanical Garden
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2012
The New York Botanical Garden, a National Historic Landmark and one of NYC’s premier cultural institutions, seeks a Director of Adult Education. The Director of Adult Education provides leadership, direction, supervision, and administration for all aspects of the Garden’s Adult Education Program at the Garden, the Midtown Center, and other off-site locations.
· Instills clear vision and direction for the programming, marketing, and registration aspects of the Continuing Education Department and the School of Horticulture and Landscape Design, defining goals and strategies for the department.
· Manages all aspects of the Adult Education program including non-certificate, certificate courses, advanced workshops, symposia, lecture series, and other special programs.
· Oversees programming, marketing, and registration for the Midtown Education Center.
· Serves as Director for the School of Horticulture and Landscape Design, assuring that all school records, programs, and procedures comply with New York State regulations.
· Coordinates departmental long-range planning, goal setting and implementation and evaluation of programs with managerial staff to determine quality, relevance of programming, consistency with the Garden’s mission and image.
· Analyzes, improves and administers policies and procedures to improve the operation of the Adult Education program, including registration, marketing, and programming functions, as well as its interaction with other Garden departments and off-site locations. (i.e. instructor manual, registration procedures)
· Recruits, screens, and supervises Adult Education Department staff.
· Evaluates opportunities for complimentary programming with other Garden departments and coordinates activities, especially with Government Relations, Horticulture, Public Education, and Retail.
· Oversees production and distribution of catalogs and direct mail brochures for programming initiatives.
· Prepares with staff and reviews budgets and oversees budgetary performance.
· Analyzes registration and inquiry data for trends; adapts strategies to capitalize on changing demand and under-served audiences.
· Administers joint degree programming with Lehman College and Bronx Community College Program and college credit courses with the New York State Education Department(NPONSI).
· Interacts with adult education professionals, and represents the Garden at professional functions.
· Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
· Demonstrated business skills related to enhancing profitability, service-oriented business management, marketing, branding, creative product development.
· Strong managerial and communication skills along with familiarity of botanical and horticulture programming a must.
· Experience in academic or museum management related to adult education with an emphasis on program development, implementation, and evaluation.
Excellent benefits including 4 weeks vacation a year, 401k savings and pension plans, paid sick days and holidays, free employee parking on premises and more!
The New York Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer