Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Guest Services and Facility Manager
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
Des Moines, IA
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012
The Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, a nearly 14-acre urban garden along the Des Moines River, is preparing for a notable transformation. The Garden first opened in 1979 as the Des Moines Botanical Center, part of the Des Moines Parks & Recreation Department, with its iconic Geodesic domed conservatory. Starting in 2013 the Garden will be transformed through the 501(c)3’s leadership and fundraising with a $11.6 investment in the first phase of the garden’s master plan.
The master plan designed by Doug Hoerr of Hoerr Schaudt Landscape Architects in Chicago includes a water garden, shade tree allee, and a variety of specialty gardens. This position provides a unique opportunity to be to be part of a dynamic team during an exciting point in the garden’s history.
Guest Services and Facility Manager Job Description
Reports to: President & CEO
Function: Creates and maintains a high caliber visitor experience, while actively promoting the programs and offerings of the garden to cultivate repeat visitors, members, and donors. Manages facility services related to internal and external users, including custodial, maintenance and service providers.
Schedule: Full-time, with mandatory weekend and holiday rotation and occasional evening hours
Revision Date: September 2012
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and performs other duties as assigned.
The Guest Services and Facility Manager’s primary functions include:
· Leads the expansion of the customer services function of the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
· Develops and monitors the customer service and facilities departmental structure in order to accomplish annual goals, along with managing short-and long-range planning for these departments
· Leads, trains, and manages a diverse team of staff and volunteers to provide consistent and valued guest relations
· Provides customer service training to staff and volunteers in other departments who interact with the public
· Raises the Garden’s profile throughout Iowa by identifying and establishing new avenues for outreach and promotion of the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden in order to achieve visitation and revenue goals, including advertising and marketing, media relations, and strategic partnerships
· Coordinates outreach and promotion efforts with the Education and Outreach Manager and other internal stakeholders
· Leads the admissions, group sales, garden shop, tour coordination, guest orientation experience and materials, facility rental, building security, and facility service functions
· Oversees facility services related to internal and external users, including custodial, maintenance and service providers
· Coordinates with the Horticulture Manager in overlapping service areas
· Responsible for the operational and capital department budgets, budget monitoring, strategic planning, capital projects and facility maintenance as related to guest services and facility management
· Serves as part of a cross-departmental team that creates and executes mission driven events and exhibits at the Garden
· Serves as part of a cross-departmental team that identifies, solicits, and cultivates funding sources for the Garden, including grants, individual, and corporate donors
· Manages the GDMBG website and social media outlets in coordination with the Membership and Development Manger and the Education and Outreach Manager
· Develops, maintains, and promotes positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, contractors, media, and the general public.
· Directly supervises the Rental and Events Coordinator, Gift Shop Manager, Events and Guest Services staff, and Housekeeping and Building Maintenance staff and/or contractors
· Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
· Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
Education and Experience
· High School diploma or equivalent, with a Bachelors degree in a business, marketing, or hospitality-related field highly preferred
· Minimum of two years experience in a management position in a guest/customer services function at a cultural attraction or in a corporate environment
· Previous experience in processing daily deposits, budget management, marketing, and hospitality services highly preferred
· Experience with point of sale and donor database software preferred
Licenses and Certifications
· Valid Drivers’ License preferred
· Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations written in the English language
· Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
· Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
· Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
· Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance
Cognitive and Reasoning Ability
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to walk and stand. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To apply for the position
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com