Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Special Events and Programs Coordinator
Myriad Gardens Foundation
Oklahoma City, OK
Salary: Permanent, Full-time with benefits
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012
Myriad Botanical Garden is a 17-acre garden and park space in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City. It is home to the Crystal Bridge Conservatory, a 10,000 sq. foot tropical plant conservatory. The Gardens underwent a $45 million complete redesign to include new garden spaces and ornamental plantings and a variety of public gathering sites for programs and entertainment including a band shell and Great Lawn, a children’s playground and garden, a lake, a restaurant, seasonal ice rink, dog run, outdoor pavilion, and a variety of water features.
This position will focus on planning and executing a wide variety of free and fee-based events and programs to drive year-round attendance to make the Gardens a dynamic and vibrant community site that enlivens the downtown. These events and programs may include some horticultural education programs but its primary focus is to plan and execute a wide range of fun and entertaining events and programs ( recreational, seasonal, cultural and performing arts programming and more) for families and adults. The Special Events and Programs Coordinator will report to the Director of Marketing & Communications and work closely with all staff to plan and execute events.
This position will be employed by the Myriad Gardens Foundation, the 501(c) 3 nonprofit that manages the Myriad Botanical Gardens. It is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Plan and coordinate a year-round schedule of special events and programs that will appeal to a diverse audience of all ages in the Oklahoma City region to help organization meet its mission as a dynamic downtown destination. Includes planning and coordinating events such as fairs and festivals to musical events, art exhibits, outdoor recreational programs and more.
· Plan a mix of events and programs in order to generate target earned revenue budget goals and drive attendance to Gardens and membership.
· Secure and coordinate all appropriate permits, licensing prior to events. Manage materials and signage needed for event production.
· Meet with presenters/vendors to coordinate programs, prepare agreement contracts and coordinate all details to produce quality programs/events.
· Help identify and secure sponsorship support for special events and programs. Work closely with Director of Marketing & Communication to help market and promote programs.
· Contribute strategic thinking for organization to meet its mission through events and programs. Work with Director of Development and Membership Coordinator to increase fundraising and membership development through events and programs.
· Work closely with Volunteer Coordinator to recruit and train volunteers to staff organize and staff programs and events.
· Create and adhere to project budgets and timelines for special events and programs. Monitor progress of, as applicable, of registration, sales and income goals and adjust plans accordingly working closely with related staff members, board and volunteers.
· Manage business relationship and bidding process to ensure the best service and most efficient cost and in-kind donations for goods and services.
· Conduct event surveys and conduct post event follow ups to analyze overall outcome of event or program.
· Supervise seasonal staff and/or interns and volunteers to help produce events and programs.
· Assist Marketing and Communications Director with other marketing tasks as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree required with at least 3 or more years of successful event planning and management experience
· Have a keen interest in and ability to be a creative thinker in seeking out a diverse range of new and original event and programming ideas to produce for all ages
· Demonstrated ability to reach financial goals in event execution
· Excellent customer service attitude and skills
· Strong work ethic and ability to think strategically, creatively, resourcefully and solve problems
· Strong ability to motivate and train volunteers to help produce successful events and programs
· Proven ability to handle multiple priorities and meet critical deadlines
· Excellent organization, project management, computer and communication skills
· Must be a team player with ability to build positive internal and external relationships for the Gardens
· Proven ability to gain sponsorships for events is a plus
· Must be available to work some evenings and weekends
Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications. Position includes: health , vision, dental and retirement match benefits, paid vacation and sick days and opportunities for continuing education.
To apply: Please forward a cover letter, resume and three references to:
Or mail to: Myriad Gardens Foundation
Att: A. Elkins
301 W. Reno
Oklahoma City, OK 73102