Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Fairchild Challenge High School Program Coordinator
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
Coral Gables, Florida
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden seeks a talented and motivated individual to join The Fairchild Challenge team to coordinate High School program.
The Fairchild Challenge is an innovative multidisciplinary approach to science education and has proven to be a replicable model that identifies and encourages talented young scientists through multidisciplinary approach and competition. The overarching goal of the FC is to create environmentally aware and motivated students to become solution-oriented stewards of the environment. The program is comprised of a menu of multidisciplinary, point-earning activities (called challenges) that allow students the opportunity explore environmental issues and scientific concepts. Last year, the Fairchild Challenge enrolled more than 120,000 local K-12 students each year, with high racial, cultural, social, and economic diversity among its participants.
- an environmental science educator interested in plants and the environment who is dedicated to furthering environmental education
- highly organized and proactive in anticipating and solving logistical details
- comfortable leading, teaching, and speaking to diverse groups of people
- proactive in anticipating and troubleshooting program details
- an effective oral and written communicator
- proficient with MS office and Adobe suites, and able to learn new programs as required
- experience with graphic design software
- able to participate effectively with research/evaluation efforts
- a team player with a strong work ethic
- BS degree in education, environmental sciences or related fields is required, MS degree is preferred
In addition to these primary skills, the person in this position must possess a dedication to and interest in cultivating knowledge of plant-based education, strong organization and administration skills, ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects, and close
attention to detail. Some evening and weekend work is required.
This position reports to the manager of The Fairchild Challenge, and works closely with other education staff as a fluid team.
Established in 1936, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is an 83-acre scientific and cultural institution. Fairchild is known locally and internationally for its extraordinary beauty and as a place for inspiration and learning. Our mission is to save tropical plant diversity by exploring, explaining and conserving the world of tropical plants; fundamental to this task is inspiring a greater knowledge and love for plants and gardening so that all can enjoy the beauty and bounty of the tropical world.
Please submit a cover letter, your resume and contact information for three references to
Amy Padolf, Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org