Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Category: Visitor Services
Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
Santa Barbara, CA
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA office
The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden:
The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden fosters the conservation of California's native plants through our gardens, research and education, and serves as a role model of sustainable practices. We work to create community that understands the interdependency between people and plants, and acts to preserve the natural world.
The Volunteer Manager is responsible for management of the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden’s volunteer program including program design, recruitment, interviewing, orientation, placement, and recognition. This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position that reports to the Executive Director.
Position Title:Volunteer Manager
· Manage the recruitment, interviews, placement and schedules of adult and student volunteers to support the Garden.
· Directly or indirectly supervise all Garden volunteers. Responsibilities include interviewing, conducting background checks, training volunteers; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding volunteers; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Identify and develop volunteer opportunities, write job descriptions, and evaluate volunteer programs. Inform volunteers of policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service.
· Recruit, interview, document, place, and schedule volunteers in specific assignments. Provide volunteer orientation and training as needed. Be prepared to work along with volunteers in any job task as necessary.
· Train and coach staff on working with volunteers, and ensure a good fit between volunteers, staff, and specific assignments.
· Assist other staff in anticipating their department’s ongoing and seasonal need for volunteer support. Schedule volunteer support based on program/event objectives. Provide “day of” management for volunteers for all major events. This will include some weekend and after hours functions.
· Direct the planning of recognition and retention events for volunteers. Provide individual and group recognition.
· Act as staff liaison to the Volunteer Council to help schedule and take notes at Council meetings. Periodically review the volunteer handbook and work with the Volunteer Council and the Board of Directors or appropriate staff to update the handbook and any procedures relating to volunteers, as needed.
· Maintain volunteer records and provide quantitative reporting as requested.
· Serve as the point of contact for internship applicants, corporate team volunteer days, and high school and college service organizations.
· Assist with carrying out the Garden’s Docent Training program and the Garden Growers Training program and ensure volunteers are prepared to represent the Garden onsite and in the community.
· Make presentations, attend recruitment events, and actively recruit new volunteers to expand our volunteer force. Update internal and external volunteer websites and respond to phone, mail, and electronic inquiries concerning volunteer opportunities.
· Work with appropriate agencies to allow the Garden to serve as an approved volunteer site for community service. Maintain all records necessary to ensure program compliance. Orient and schedule the community service program.
· Demonstrate ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines; communicate well both verbally and in writing.
· Organize and facilitate hospitality for volunteers and events which depend heavily on volunteers. This can include social interaction, as well as coordinating food, beverages and scheduled rest breaks, as needed. Requires managing the procurement of supplies and presentation of hospitality stations.
Must be capable of strenuous physical work including the ability to lift and carry a minimum of 40 pounds, bend, squat, and walk the SBBG trails.
A minimum of bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience working with volunteers or students required. Equivalent combination of relevant education or experience may be substituted as appropriate.
Background in horticulture, botany, ecology, and interpretation or museum studies is desirable. Previous experience at botanic gardens, museum programs or similar experience preferred.
Understand how volunteers are essential to running the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden and maintain or establish volunteer programs to meet the Garden’s needs. Be able to communicate all elements of the Garden’s mission to current and potential volunteers and other community members. Support the Garden’s mission and goals, and mobilize others to fulfill the mission by providing vision and inspiration. Exhibit proficient computer skills including ability to use Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and the ability to learn new computer programs as necessary for volunteer management and record keeping.
Certificates and Licenses:
Must have valid California driver's license and good driving record
Annual Salary Range:$21,120 - $35,360 (D.O.E.)
Anticipated Start Date:January 2013
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should email their cover letter, resume, and references (please include "Volunteer Manager" in the subject line) to email@example.com. Review of resumes will begin November 26, but will be accepted until the position is filled.