Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014
Associate Director of Organizational Communications
The Garden Conservancy
Reports To: Director of Organizational Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Works closely with the Director of Organizational Communications to raise awareness of the Garden Conservancy among the general public and all key constituencies-including donors, prospects, members, partners, and media-in order to increase favorability and encourage participation in Garden Conservancy programs. Also works closely with the Organizational Communications Assistant and the Garden Conservancy staff in all departments to help design, manage, and write a full spectrum of communications products including an organizational identity program, organizational messaging, publications, media relations, and the website; to ensure continuity, public awareness, and incorporation of Garden Conservancy’s strategic programs and priorities by performing the following duties in support of the organization’s mission to save and share outstanding American gardens.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Increases favorability and encourages participation in and support of the Garden Conservancy’s mission to save and share outstanding American gardens.*
2. Implements and manages the organizational brand and identity program.*
3. Helps to establish and implement long‐ and short‐range communications plans for the Conservancy.*
4. Implements and coordinates positioning statements and key messages for the Conservancy including key programs in preservation, sharing gardens, and education.*
5. Ties all messaging to strategic plan of Board of Directors.*
6. Collaborates with the Board’s Communications Committee.*
7. Assists Director in determining appropriate vehicles for communicating internal and external messaging including traditional and evolving media.*
8. Assists review of website redesign and continuing improvements.**Essential Function
9. Manages content of website, working closely with Open Days staff and other departments.*
10. Works with all staff to produce special event materials.*
11. Helps with communications and media outreach in support of Preservation department programs and partner gardens.*
12. Works closely with Membership task force and Development team on design of integrated systems to increase membership.*
13. Works with Stewardship team in crafting appreciation and recognition messages.*
14. Writes articles for all Garden Conservancy publications and website.*
15. Edits articles written by fellow staff members for publications and website.*
16. Produces graphics including photographs for publications and website.*
17. Assists in publication of newsletters and annual reports.*
18. Manages communications projects, including production of newsletters, brochures, and other materials, both printed and electronic.*
19. Works closely with all Development staff on production of materials for 25th Anniversary Philanthropic Initiative, case statements, proposal content, and special reports.*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to present information effectively and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.*Essential Function
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of software for word processing, design and image management, spreadsheet and databases,
development, website and digital communications, project management, and contract management.
Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) from four‐year college or university; or four to six years
related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
Outstanding writing skills
Excellent graphic design, creative, and computer skills
Excellent verbal skills
Customer service orientation
Experience working with media
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The
employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or
move up to ten pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to see color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions; outdoor weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Mention “Associate Director of Organizational Communications” in the subject line