Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
Direct Manager: Director of Horticulture
Date Created: 7-14-14
Job Category: (E or NE) NE
Location: Henrico, VA
Travel Required: None
Level/Salary Range: Salary commensurate with experience
Position Type: (FT / PT) FT, 37.5 hours/week
Date posted: 7-15-14
Posting Expires: Open until filled
Contact: Karen Clowers email@example.com
As a member of the Horticulture Department, the Irrigation Technician coordinates irrigation installation, maintenance, and repair. The Irrigation Technician works on a collegial basis with Horticulturists and Gardeners under the direction of the Director of Horticulture and Manager of Horticulture. Also assists Facilities Maintenance and Operations staff as directed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using best practices in accordance with established Garden standards, responsible for installation, daily maintenance, renovation, and repair of irrigation systems throughout the garden.
- Layout and install new and renovated irrigation systems
- Pull and fit piping for irrigation systems
- Set sprinkler heads and valve boxes
- Tests irrigation systems for proper functioning- perform irrigation audit to optimize water use
- Ensure proper pump operation, including developing and following a preventative maintenance routine, as well as necessary renovation and replacement
- Evaluate system for repairs- repair heads, line breaks, and clogged zones
Ensure correct operation of satellites and Sentinel computer control system
Purchasing and stocking irrigation supplies, maintaining inventory records
Site preparation for irrigation installation and repair: Remove plant material in coordination with Horticulture staff, perform rough and fine grading, dig trenches, replace turf and other plant material to clean up job site after completion of irrigation projects
Documentation: Update as-built drawings of garden irrigation layouts; gather and update historical data for each garden regarding water sources, point of connection, and mainline location; keep record of services performed and parts installed for each garden area.
- Activate and deactivate irrigation systems according to seasonal priorities
- Use and preventive maintenance of assigned equipment, tools, and vehicles.
- Supervision and training of assigned paid and unpaid staff.
- Participates in group projects, serving a leadership or supporting role as directed by Supervisor.
- Participates in garden-wide events and exhibitions (including Garden Festival of Lights).
- Coordinates effectively with horticulture, facilities maintenance, operations, and contractors hired for outsourced services.
- With Director and Manager of Horticulture, schedules all work in assigned areas.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
Willingly and cheerfully integrates work within assigned areas with the efforts of other departments (education, operations, volunteers, garden shop, facility rental, public relations, development and security).
Complies with provisions of the current Employee Handbook, all published personnel policies and the requirements of the job description.
Perform duties in a manner consistent with a public garden serving multi-generational families, and in accordance with directed practices and procedures.
With supervisor, establishes and implements safety and risk management program and training for assigned personnel.
Works with an awareness of surroundings, and vigilant to any possible threat to the safety of visitors, volunteers, and staff or to their property. Ensures all concerns are reported promptly.
Ensures compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director of Horticulture or his/her designee.
- Demonstrated knowledge of irrigation maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair.
- Demonstrated ability to operate required tools and equipment.
- Strong work ethic and capacity for continuous manual labor.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Working knowledge of computers and basic Microsoft Office Suite skills.
- Irrigation software such as Sentinel.
- Proficient with a 521 locator and volt meter.
- Experience with water management, troubleshooting and repair of water and irrigation systems and basic landscape equipment repair.
- Ability to obtain a Virginia Pesticide Applicator’s License within the first four (4) months of employment.
- Must have a valid VA driver’s license.
- Time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Comfortable interacting with garden visitors
- Organizational Skills
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds repeatedly.
- Must be able to work indoors in conservatory conditions and outdoors in all seasonal extremes.
- Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Bachelors, Associate’s, or Technical degree in horticulture / landscape maintenance / construction / plumbing or related field is desired.
- A minimum of three years of experience working with irrigation installation and maintenance is required.
- Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered.