Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Horticulturist Intern & Volunteer Supervisor
Robert W Monk Gardens
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014
Position: Horticulturist Intern & Volunteer Supervisor
Reports to: Buildings & Grounds Committee Chair and Education Committee Chair
Status: Full Time Seasonal
Pay Scale: AmeriCorps educational and living expense stipends for first 300 hours; after August 15, $10 - $15 per hour, depending upon experience
1. Assist with educational activities and volunteer events. The Gardens is a recipient of an Urban Forestry Grant from the WI Department of Natural Resources that has a strong educational component on improving the tree canopy in Marathon County. We also have summer school groups and other youth and adult groups on site during the summer.
2. Supervise summer volunteer work crews, gardening volunteers, an outside grounds maintenance contractor.
3. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: being able to do or supervise the planting and maintaining a variety of woody and herbaceous plants, pruning, deadheading, weeding, apply mulch and soil amendments, transplanting, dividing perennials, watering, fertilizing, hauling brush, mowing, raking, pest control, the use of herbicides, operation and routine maintenance of power equipment and the use of herbicides to control invasive plants and other gardening duties as assigned by the Buildings & Ground committee chair.
Work Hours: First shift, some weekends
Requirements of the Job: A minimum of junior standing in horticulture or related field. Supervisory experience is a plus. Candidate must have a valid driver’s license.
Physical requirements include:
• Ability to operate equipment, such as mowers, lawn tractors
• Use of hand pruners, loppers, hand saws and backpack sprayers
• Able to work independently and within small work teams
• Good interpersonal skills
• Attention to detail
• Able to stand, bend, kneel, climb, reach, pull, push, sit, grab, and lift and carry (up to 50 lbs.) on a daily basis in all weather conditions.
• Speak, write and understand English
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to: Robert W. Monk Gardens, Inc., 518 South 7th Avenue, Wausau, WI 54401 before May 2, 2014