Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Locust Valley, NY
Posted: Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Bailey Arboretum, www.baileyarboretum.org, which is a not for profit Arboretum consisting of 42 acres, 7 acres of turf /garden beds and 35 acres of natural areas has a position open for a Resident Groundskeeper. Responsibilities for the Resident Groundskeeper vary depending on the seasonal priorities set forth by the Manager/Superintendent and the Bailey Arboretum Annual Plan. The Resident Groundskeeper is an employee of the Friends of Bailey Arboretum, governed by the Board of Trustees, and reports directly to the Manager/Superintendent. The Resident Groundskeeper must be a full-time resident at the Arboretum and is required to work 20-25 hours per week in exchange for rent-free living space in the south carriage apartment on the grounds. This position requires the Resident Groundskeeper to work a 3-5 day work schedule.
- A minimum of an A.S. or B.S, equivalent training in horticulture or a closely related field with 1-2 years of hands on experience.
- Must be team oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to lift 50lbs and to perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions.
- Have the ability to follow directions and work independently, as well as supervise and work as a part of a team.
- Flexibility to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize and juggle competing tasks and demands.
- Must be available to work flexible hours if needed including some evenings and weekends to fulfill the needs and goals of the Arboretum and to provide support for several Arboretum events annually.
- Must have the ability to operate small machinery and vehicles (workman cart, mowers, string trimmers, blowers, tractor, loader, chainsaw and etc.)
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must make a one year work commitment
Position Responsibilities (Not Limited To):
- Assist the manager/superintendent with all aspects of grounds, facility and equipment maintenance:
- Lawn Maintenance
- Property Cleanup – fall and spring
- Planting and maintenance of garden beds and tree beds (weed, water, edge)
- Trail Maintenance
- Snow Removal (plow parking lots, entrance/exit roads, steps, doorways and path to Bailey House)
- Collect and empty property trash bins, remove trash from roadways and inside the property
- Provide assistance with County-coordinated projects as needed
- Keep the Children’s Habitat organized and free of trash
- Paint benches, buildings, etc.
- Control pests (e.g.: goose population)
- Make small repairs as needed or requested
- Minor maintenance – fuel, oil changes, spark plugs, etc.
- Maintenance of clean and organized work and storage areas
- Other related work as requested by the Manager/Superintendent
- Assist with Board-sponsored events and customer rentals, as needed
- Train, supervise and work with volunteers as needed
- Greet visitors, lead tour groups, provide information about the grounds and history of the Arboretum, as needed
- Assist the Resident Manager/Superintendent in providing 24 x 7 security and responding to security calls
- Resident Groundskeeper will monitor the opening and closing of the entrance and exit gates according to the seasonal schedule
Apply to: Send a resume with cover letter and three references to:
Michael Maron, Superintendent, Bailey Arboretum, 194 Bayville Road, Locust Valley NY 11560