Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Short Hills, New Jersey
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Greenwood Gardens, a historically significant public garden and former private estate, whose mission is to preserve and enhance its gardens, architecture, and landscape for the education and delight of the public, is seeking a Seasonal Gardener for the 2014 season. The Seasonal Gardener will report to the Manager of Horticulture, and assist with horticultural activities and general maintenance work.
- Assist with horticultural activities and general maintenance work, including soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, mowing, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation, planting, and caring for existing gardens.
- Hand water and monitor irrigation of plantings.
- Operate small hand tools and power machinery.
- Ensure all equipment is secured and well-maintained.
- General clean-up of garden beds and paths.
- Perform other general tasks as assigned by the Manager of Horticulture or other full time staff.
- Assist with volunteer events and educational activities, as needed.
Two or more years of horticulture experience or degree in horticulture and/or related field. Experience with landscape maintenance equipment, including stick shift vehicles and other machinery (ATV, tractor, chippers, mowers, weed whackers, sprayers, pickup trucks, etc.). Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 75 lbs) on a daily basis in all weather conditions. Ability to work independently, with others, and possess strong communication skills. Valid Driver’s License.
Knowledge of plant material, including turf; weed identification and management skills; plant diseases and pests, as well as IPM strategies; irrigation systems.
Hours and Compensation
- This is a temporary full time position from May through October.
- 37.5 hour per week, including weekends, holidays, and overtime, as needed.
- $12.50 per hour.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Brendan Huggins, Manager of Horticulture Greenwood Gardens
274 Old Short Hills Road
Short Hills, New Jersey 07078
Brendan Huggins at Bhuggins@greenwoodgardens.org
No calls, please.