Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Finance & Administration Coordinator
La Cañada Flintridge, California
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Finance & Administration Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
Descanso Gardens seeks a Finance & Administration Coordinator responsible for coordinating activities and reports related to Descanso Gardens business and administrative activities, specifically, finances, human resources, and risk management. Under the direction of the Director of Finance & Administration, the Coordinator will be responsible for accurate and timely maintenance of the general ledger; bank account, program and grant reconciliations and reporting; executing human resource functions such as recruitment, on-boarding, orientation, payroll, benefits administration, separation paperwork; and, coordinating insurance requirements and vendor agreements.
The ideal candidate will be a deadline and detail-oriented individual who can step back and see the big picture. We seek a highly organized problem-solver who handles multiple projects with accuracy, and keeps consistent with generally accepted accounting practices and up to date with human resource laws and practices. The Coordinator will ensure that all financial, human resources, and risk management obligations are met and accounted for.
This is a 40 hour a week, full-time, non-exempt position and may include some evening and/or weekend hours, depending on the needs of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Manages monthly closing process including but not limited to reconciling bank accounts, balance sheet, program and grant reconciliations and capital expenditures
- Enter and produce monthly departmental budgets and financial reports
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget
- Assist in the preparation of annual audit Human Resources
- Coordinate all aspects of recruitment including job postings, interviews, and follow up
- On-board and orient new employees; prepare separation paperwork for terminating employees
- Coordinate benefits administration including workers’ compensation
- Coordinate evaluation process at 90 days and annually
- Oversee bi-weekly payroll including PTO accruals
- Maintain Descanso’s insurance policies
- Report information to brokers and carriers as requested
- Serve as an active member of the Safety Committee
- Coordinate, along with the Facilities Manager, a safety training program for employees and volunteers
- Oversee, from inception to completion, administration and operations projects as assigned.
- Maintain positive, professional vendor relationships including, but not limited to, banks, credit card companies, insurance brokers, etc. Other duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Computer (with MS Office), telephone, calculator, photocopier, fax, credit card machine, postage meter and other office equipment, as appropriate.
This position requires flexibility to work in an office and an active outdoor environment which includes public interaction, some noise and various other distractions throughout the Gardens. Must be able to walk long distances and on occasion access various areas of the Gardens including areas not accessible by paved roads or dirt trails. Some lifting up to 20 pounds required, but not routinely. It also requires the ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive (an electric cart), and climb step ladders.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum 3 years bookkeeping, human resource, risk and office management experience required
- Strong computer skills required in Quickbooks, MS Office, and experience using web-based payroll systems such as Paycom, Paychex or ADP required
- Demonstration of effective communication skills
- Solid working knowledge of GAAP required
- Effective organizational skills and the capacity to simultaneously handle multiple projects with changing priorities and time constraints required
- CA driver’s license required
- BA/BS in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or Human Resources, preferred
- Nonprofit and customer service experience desirable
- Demonstration of highly effective organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and teamwork skills
- Ability to acquire proficiency (training provided) in proprietary database in order to compile, analyze, and produce reports
- Other critical attributes include a high degree of warmth, strong interpersonal communication skills and a well-developed sense of humor. It is essential that the candidate have the flexibility and philosophical orientation to function effectively with staff, trustees, donors, members, volunteers and vendors
- Compensation: $15-$19/hr
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a letter of interest, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with FAC0214 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information will be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.