Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Education Programs Coordinator
La Cañada Flintridge, California
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Education Programs Coordinator
Descanso Gardens seeks an Education Programs Coordinator responsible for coordinating all activities pertaining to Descanso’s Education Programs including School Programs (field trips, Harvest Garden program, teacher professional development) and Public Programs (festivals, workshops, lectures, summer camp, special events, etc.). This position is highly visible working directly with schools, visitors, and volunteers of Descanso Gardens in addition to working with internal team members and outside contractors.
This is a 40 hour a week, full-time, non-exempt position and may include some evening and/or weekend hours, depending on the needs of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates school visits, public programs, and other events. Oversees logistics as well as content development. Interfaces with outside contractors and internal staff to ensure excellent visitor experiences at programs.
- Responsible for conducting outreach to schools and educators to support field trip attendance and participation in the Harvest Garden and other school and teacher programs.
- Supports and coordinates volunteer/docent activities including trainings.
- Assists with program evaluation, interpretive planning, and strategic planning for Education Programs.
- Conducts school tours as assigned.
- Substitutes in the Harvest Garden and Summer Camp program as needed.
- Responsible for completing contracts, grounds reservations, set-up and work-order requests, class and event registration and rosters.
- Responsible for inventory, ordering, and maintenance of tools, equipment, supplies used within the Education programs.
- Produces routine reports, manuals, correspondence; respond to inquiries or complaints from members, the public, staff or vendors; process routine requests for payments in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Computer, phone, fax machine, credit card processing machine, calculator, copier, printer, hand-held (two-way) radio, sound system, projectors, golf cart.
This position requires flexibility to work in an office and an active outdoor environment which includes public interaction, some noise and various other distractions throughout the Gardens. Must be able to walk long distances and on occasion access various areas of the Gardens including areas not accessible by paved roads or dirt trails. Some lifting up to 20 pounds required, but not routinely. It also requires the ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive (an electric cart), and climb step ladders.
Reports to: Education Programs Manager
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BA/BS minimum
- 2 years experience in an education setting required.
- Excellent communication skills, including presentation skills
- Highly developed organizational skills, ability to conceive and implement events from inception to completion.
- Ability to respond flexibly and well in a dynamic work environment
- Other critical attributes include a high degree of warmth, strong interpersonal communication skills and a well-developed sense of humor. It is essential that the candidate have the flexibility and philosophical orientation to function effectively with staff, team members, students, teachers, parents and volunteers. Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google calendar and mail.
- Basic knowledge of business processes such as accounts receivables, accounts payables.
- Good working knowledge of computers and familiarity with general office equipment; Computer skills required – MS Office.
- A valid CA Driver’s License is required.
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a letter of interest, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with EDC0214 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information will be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.