Public Garden Career Center - View Job
The Gardens at Mill Fleurs
Bucks County, PA
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014
The Gardens at Mill Fleurs are located in Bucks County, PA (USDA Zone 6b), along the Tohickon Creek. The ten-acre site is remarkably beautiful, featuring dramatic topography around a 1742-grist mill and a sawmill that was operational in the 1790’s. The five-acre garden is an effort to create a harmonious landscape incorporating hundreds of genera. It is interesting to those who love both native and rare plants, and to those who are interested in how to compose an artful landscape on a gorgeous, but difficult site. It is open for bus tours and visitors by appointment.
POSITION: Garden Manager
This is a full-time, year-round position; hours will vary with the season.
Start date: ASAP.
The Garden Manager is responsible for maintaining the health and well-being of the collections. The Manager works with owners Barbara Tiffany to implement planting and design concepts and with Robert Tiffany on the maintenance program. The Manager will help develop plants and strategies for on-site nursery sales of rare plants enabling The Gardens to become self-sustaining.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the living collections; work with employees on daily garden/plant maintenance.
- Direct and participate in maintenance of the physical plant, including irrigation systems, garden equipment and supplies.
- Implement a new nursery propagation and retail sales area; assist with new plant acquisitions, design, and installation; Promote development of nursery stock and plant sales. Assist in maintenance of nursery stock and sales area.
- Participate in the documentation of accessioned and deceased plants; develop plant records and mapping system in cooperation with other staff. Maintain plant labels.
- Help manage public tours, visitations, and open days.
- Enthusiasm and passion about horticulture and garden design
- Knowledge of horticultural practices, especially for plants which thrive in the mid-Atlantic.
- Thorough understanding of gardening procedures with the ability to work hands-on with other staff. Organizational ability to maintain a complex garden.
- Managerial and team-building skills useful in supervising staff and volunteers.
- General understanding of retail garden center sales practice.
- Physical strength to work on challenging terrain, flexibility, generosity of spirit.
Please send cover letter expressing interest and a resume to: Barbara Tiffany at email@example.com