Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Chicago Horticultural Society
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014
Title: Collections Specialist
Department: Garden Operations
Regular or Seasonal: Seasonal
Full-time or Part-time: Part Time
The plant collections specialist will assist the Chicago Botanic Garden's curators of herbaceous perennials and woody plants in collecting data on the Garden's plant collections.
This person will perform literature research, review current collection holdings, determine the availability and nativity of taxa, enter data and transfer information, develop lists of new acquisitions and sources for specialized collections, evaluate plants from foreign expeditions for quantity, health, and provenance-based adaptability, and produce reports.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Perform literature research, review current collection holdings, and determine redundancy, commercial availability, and nativity of taxa.
- Develop a list of new acquisitions and sources for the Garden's plant collections.
- Help evaluate over 3,300 existing plants from foreign expeditions for quantity, health, locations, and provenance-based adaptability.
- Denote in specialized collections database targeted acquisitions, potential countries/regions, and commercial sources for additions to the specialized collections.
- Conduct "weed risk assesment" for the plants targeted and collected on expeditions.
- Create and produce high-quality reports.
- Other curational duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree in horticulture or botany preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel software.
- Knowledge of plants required.
- Detail-oriented with strong communication and organizational skills.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
For almost 40 years, our employees have worked to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. Come work in a setting that is like no other. Take the first step towards being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserve District of Cook County.
Apply today at chicagobotanic.org/jobs
Please note applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.