Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Manager, Membership Sales & Visitor Experience
Chicago Horticultural Society
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014
MANAGER, MEMBERSHIP SALES & VISITOR EXPERIENCE
Exemption Status: Exempt
Department: Membership (521)
Reports to: Director, Membership & Annual Giving
Regular or Seasonal: Regular
Full-time or Part-time: Full-time
Supervises: Three regular full-time, one part-time, and seasonal associates and volunteers
- To lead the front-line sales team to increase revenue through increased sales of memberships and membership upgrades, donations, visitor event and program tickets, and registrations for various School of the Botanic Garden programs.
- To manage all membership sales and sales projects on and off-site.
- To enhance the Member/Visitor experience by leading and empowering the front-line staff to provide five-star customer service.
- To assist the Director, Membership & Annual Giving and the Member and Donor Services management team with revenue enhancement and long-term growth planning for membership.
- Coordinate with the Director of Visitor Services and Director of the School to keep informed about various program offerings and appropriately to share this information with front-line staff in order to increase customer satisfaction.
- Work with the Garden’s lead for Raiser’s Edge and Patron’s Edge to ensure front line sales capabilities of these software systems used by the front line sales team meet the operational needs and sales objectives of the team.
- Work closely with the Visitor Operations Manager to ensure that the Garden’s grounds, buildings, and daily operations support the 5 star customer service standards.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Managing and building the capacity of on-site sales including: memberships, classes, public program and event tickets, and by encouraging donations and membership upgrades, through strong desk management, creative sales promotions, and by providing five-star customer service to members, donors, and visitors.
Working with Director, Membership & Annual Giving, develop, plan and oversee all aspects of on-site member acquisition and retention sales:
- Set annual and monthly sales goals
- Create sales contests and promotions to motivate staff
Supervising front-line sales staff and volunteers:
- Work with Director, Membership & Annual Giving to evaluate staffing model annually.
- Hire and train these positions.
- Create and maintain monthly schedule for front-line coverage and volunteer staff including desk volunteers, greeters, and Regenstein information desk.
- On-going training of membership sales, membership and ticketing software, and customer service.
- Managing daily operation and coordination of visitor amenities and information.
- Coordinating the annual review of membership benefits and evaluation of acquisition efforts with the membership management team.
- Working with the Director, Membership & Annual Giving develop effective membership and other on-site sales print materials.
Ensure desk staff is trained to monitor all Garden alarms and emergencies in conjunction with Garden Security and Visitor Program staff and that procedures are well documented:
- 911 Calls
- Fire, Elevator, and Bonsai Alarms
- Weather alerts and notification to staff
Serving as the liaison with premium vendors:
- Develop new member premiums.
- Responsible for premium budget and inventory.
- Participate on Patron’s Edge management team.
- Coordination of satellite sales venues if applicable. Represent membership and the visitor experience team at planning sessions for the Flower and Garden Show, Antiques & Garden Fair, World Environment Day, plant sales and shows, and other Garden events.
- Supporting the Director, Membership & Annual Giving with timely and accurate reports and updates – monthly and annually.
- Working at Development Department fund raising events when needed.
- Establishing a working relationship with many other Garden departments including visitor operations, the Call Center, volunteer services, custodial, accounting, I.S, and outsourced food and retail operations.
- Holding regular meetings with the Visitor Operations Manager in order to keep all front line staff informed and able to provide accurate and timely information to external and internal customers.
- Other duties as required.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A college degree in Communications, Business, or other related field.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in sales and customer service.
- Excellent written and verbal skills. Microsoft office skills.
- Proficiency in time management – for scheduling desk coverage and meeting deadlines.
- The ability to interact positively with all customers including members, donors, potential donors, and co-workers in a professional and friendly manner. A customer is defined as any person you come in contact with - in person, via the telephone, or e-mail.
- The ability to implement procedures to ensure employees handle cash, checks, and credit card receipts with integrity.
- The flexibility to work one weekend day, some holidays, and evenings and to flex hours when necessary for proper front-line coverage.
- Experience with non-profit membership and/or development.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge and Patron’s Edge is preferred.
- Experience in addressing performance issues, and writing performance evaluations.
Office setting. Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, listening, speaking, and keyboarding. Use of office equipment including computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines. Some requirements for lifting, pushing, pulling items less than 30 lbs.
For almost 40 years, our employees have worked to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. Come work in a setting that is like no other. Take the first step towards being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserve District of Cook County.
Apply today at chicagobotanic.org/jobs
Please note applicants who do not meet the required qualifications will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.