Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Senior Gardener – Floral Gardens
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014
Senior Gardener – Floral Gardens (Island Garden)
Senior Gardener– Floral Gardens. This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position working in the Island Garden and requires some weekend and holiday work. Responsibilities include planting and maintenance of the Island Garden’s water garden and living wall plants, shrub beds, prairie, Award Winning perennials, seasonal sunken garden beds and containers; and nearby rain gardens in a manner in accordance with Powell Gardens’ high quality standards. The position shall also include overseeing of potential gardeners and interns and routinely with volunteers; and help with record keeping and labeling. An attractive benefit package is included with this position (following and eligibility period) including: PTO, holiday and vacation time plus medical, dental, disability and retirement plans.
Send a letter of application and resume to: Director of Horticulture, Powell Gardens, 1609 NW US HWY 50, Kingsville, MO, 64061 or via email to email@example.com. The position shall begin as soon as available.
Title: Senior Gardener
Supervised By: Director of Horticulture
Specialty: Floral Gardening
Nature of Work
This position works closely with the Director of Horticulture and is responsible for a superior horticultural displays and high quality garden maintenance standards. This shall be accomplished in an assigned area that meets the needs of Powell Gardens.
The Senior Gardener is assigned to tasks such as:
- Developing a garden maintenance schedule through the seasons.
- Watering, weeding, fertilizing & maintaining garden plants.
- Planting, transplanting, and dividing material.
- Follow integrated pest management principles.
- Pruning, shaping, harvesting, and dead-heading.
- Bed preparation, mulching, and edging.
- Operate necessary equipment such as tillers, blowers, and motor vehicles with manual transmissions.
- Oversee volunteers and interns.
- Keep proper plant records and labels.
- Identify and treat any plant pests or diseases.
- Insure necessary upkeep of the assigned garden area
Required Skills & Abilities
- Ability to perform standard horticultural practices including, but not limited to those mentioned above in 1. A. through F.
- Must obtain proper Pesticide Applicators License and valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and accomplish strenuous work on an ongoing basis in various weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.
- Must be able to communicate with the public.
- Must be able to calculate, mix proper fertilizers and chemicals.
- Must have dexterity and be able to dead-head plants and plant small transplants with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to see small detail.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.