Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Indianapolis Museum of Art- Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014
VIRGINIA B. FAIRBANKS ART & NATURE PARK
A competitive salary is offered for all positions and a generous benefits package for full-time positions. To apply, please send your resume to: ATTN: Human Resources – 4000 Michigan Road; Indianapolis, IN 46208, e-mail to email@example.com, or fax to 317-920-2655. No phone calls, please. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
(Please specify “ANP Groundskeeper” in subject line if you email your resume)
Reports To: Art & Nature Park Grounds Supervisor
Basic Work Week: 40 Hrs/Wk, 5 days
To provide technical skills and labor necessary to develop and maintain the grounds of the Art & Nature Park.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Mow the grounds using the assigned equipment.
- Maintain the irrigation program for the park, including repair and expansion.
- Apply pesticides according to procedures under a certified applicator.
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers.
- Operate the grounds equipment as assigned, including backhoe, chainsaw, chipper, and tractor loader.
- Perform other grounds tasks, including planting, pruning, seeding/sodding, snow removal, trash removal and general cleaning of the property.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Post high school technical or specialized education and three to five years related experience and/or training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in the use of hand and power tools, including pesticide application equipment.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems: includes basic plumbing and irrigation technical knowledge concerning such things as valves, pumps, fittings, repair techniques and specialized tools; understanding of proper irrigation application techniques for turf care.
- Ability to identify pests and diseases a plus; familiarity with methods of their control.
- Operational skills on wide range of grounds equipment, including backhoe, chainsaw, tractor loader, mowers, etc.; general knowledge of mechanics sufficient to recognize the existence of mechanical problems and sufficient knowledge of preventative maintenance practices to avoid preventable damage to equipment; ability to evaluate changing weather conditions and make appropriate decisions regarding snow and ice removal practices.
- Horticulture/groundskeeping skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to lift up to 100 lbs.