Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Forest Park Forever
St. Louis, Missouri
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013
Forest Park Forever
Job Title: Horticultural Foreman
Job Purpose: Supervises and assist with a wide range of landscape maintenance duties including plant selection, planting, irrigation, mulching, weeding, pest control, pruning, tree care, grading, and turf care in Forest Park, within areas maintained by Forest Park Forever. Position works with the Park Operations Manager to set goals and strategies for the management of horticultural zones.
Reports to: Park Operations Manager
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervises, coordinates and actively participates in the labor and work activities of the crew
- Directs on-the-job training of employees for safety, use of equipment, and work methods
- Reviews the design, installation, and maintenance of annual and perennial beds and planters
- Manages the development, performance evaluations and rewards process of direct reports
- Performs tree and shrub planting, pruning, monitoring, and maintenance
- Assists with the operation and maintenance of irrigation systems
- Operates light and heavy equipment, automotive equipment, power tools and hand tools
- Prepares budgets, maintenance records, and reports for landscape zones
- Acts as inter-agency liaison to coordinate with Park’s Department supervisors
- Establishes maintenance goals and develops processes which assist full-time, seasonal, and volunteer staff in accomplishing and monitoring against those goals
- Coordinates staff efforts to support company projects for Volunteers and special events
- Establishes scopes and coordinates the work for contractors
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or related field from an accredited college or university. Minimum of five (5) years experience. Minimum of three (3) years progressive supervisor experience. Requires a valid Driver’s License. Requires Missouri Pesticide Applicator’s License or the ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Ability to exert physical effort for extended periods in performing manual labor in extreme temperatures. Ability to frequently move and/or lift up to fifty (50) pounds and carry it a reasonable distance, and occasionally lift and/or move more than eighty (80) pounds. Knowledge of tools, materials and practices of grounds maintenance. Knowledge and skill in operating automotive vehicles and heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner. Ability to hear, understand, and follow oral and written instructions over radio, telephone, and in person. Requires basic knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office programs.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees my be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Forest Park Forever is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary based on knowledge and experience.
Apply online at: