Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Director of Finance
Mt. Cuba Center
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013
Director of Finance
Title: Director of Finance
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Hockessin, Delaware
Mt. Cuba Center seeks a Director of Finance who will become a key member of the dynamic leadership team. Mt. Cuba Center is a non-profit horticultural organization dedicated to the study, conservation, and appreciation of plants of the Eastern United States, with a particular emphasis on the Piedmont region.
Description: The Director of Finance will oversee the organization’s overall financial strategy and management of finance and accounting functions. This position will develop and implement the financial infrastructure/systems needed to support Mt. Cuba Center’s short and long-term mission and growth. The Director of Finance will develop and manage effective, efficient, and compliant administrative/financial processes to include financial, budget oversight and analysis, investments, legal. This position will report directly to the Board of Managers of Mt. Cuba Center and indirectly to the Executive Director. The Director of Finance has internal contact with the Board and staff and external contact with third party business partners, banks, consultants, and members of the community.
- Works with the Board of Managers on researching, developing, and overseeing grant distributions.
- Manages investments and Board-approved contribution programs; provides financial statements for Board meetings.
- Collaborates with investment consultant to monitor all institutional investments, asset allocations, and processes investment contracts.
- Works with Executive Director to prepare and oversee the organization’s annual budget; monitors budgetary control and cash flow throughout the organization.
- Maintains Mt. Cuba Center’s non-profit status by ensuring tax code and spending requirement compliance.
- Works with auditor to oversee preparation of tax returns, processes excise tax payments, and executes internal auditing procedures.
- Monitors liability throughout the organization and maintains all necessary contracts, inclusive of commercial liability.
- Acts as organization liaison with legal counsel on behalf of the organization to obtain advice on civil/criminal matters, contract/policy drafting, and other operational matters requiring counsel.
- Works with leadership team to advise on efficient and successful operations throughout the organization; recommends best practices.
- Works with financial services third party to maintain disability and workers compensation insurance policies.
- Duties include general accounting and fund accounting functions including oversight of the accounts payable, accounts receivable functions, processing monthly account reconciliation and deposits, and maintaining compliance with GAAP principles.
Education, Skills, Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a finance, business administration, business-related field, or possess equivalent experience; Master’s degree preferred.
- 7+ years of senior-level, hands-on accounting/financial management experience.
- 5+ years in management role or leadership role within an organization.
- Experience with non-profit organizations is preferred.
- Knowledgeable in grant making.
- Proficient in QuickBooks or equivalent accounting application and MS office applications.
- Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and comprehensive knowledge of accounting, financial reporting, and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience with complex strategic planning and resource allocation.
- Work requires professional written and verbal communication and excellent interpersonal skills.
Date Available: December 2013
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Mt. Cuba Center provides excellent benefits which include health and dental insurance, generous paid vacation, sick, personal, and holiday time off, and a pension plan.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Closing Date: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.