Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Mt. Cuba Center
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013
Mt. Cuba Center
Title: Greenhouse Assistant
Classification: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Location: Hockessin, Delaware
Mt. Cuba Center seeks a Greenhouse Assistant who will provide excellent skills and services in support of the Greenhouse staff. Mt. Cuba Center is a non-profit horticultural organization dedicated to the study, conservation, and appreciation of plants of the Eastern United States, with a particular emphasis on the Piedmont region.
Description: The Greenhouse Assistant is responsible for the care and maintenance of a diverse collection of native plants and a limited number of ornamental floriculture crops. The Greenhouse Assistant is responsible for maintaining the high standards and quality currently established in the greenhouse in a safe and efficient manner. The part-time Greenhouse Assistant reports to the Greenhouse Manager. This position calls for part-time employment, working about 2-3 days per week. As a part-time employee, the hours worked per year must be under 1000.
- General duties include but are not limited to watering, general plant maintenance, weeding, fertilizing, mixing soil, staking, pruning, potting, propagation, and data entry.
- Maintains plant health through environmental control of the greenhouses and shaded areas.
- Occasionally participates in activities outside of the greenhouse areas to assist with grounds maintenance and routine horticultural activities, including turning compost, pathway debris removal, etc.
- Participates in other projects as assigned.
Education, Skills, Qualifications:
- This position requires regular weekend work on a rotational basis and occasional work on holidays and special events as needed.
- Associates degree in horticulture, botany, or related plant science field required, or industry-related work experience.
- Good working knowledge of native plant identification, plant growth and cultural requirements, and disease and pest recognition.
- Practical horticultural experience and training, possessing a strong interest in the production of native plants preferred.
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, excellent time-management skills and able to effectively work independently and function without close supervision.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office™ including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to work and assist with managing volunteers.
Date Available: Immediately
Compensation: Hourly wage is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Closing Date: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.