Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013
Chanticleer Internship Program 2014
The Chanticleer Internship is a 6-9 month opportunity for select individuals to intensively deepen their understanding of the art of horticulture. Chanticleer is a plant-driven, highly aesthetic 47-acre public garden with the unofficial motto, “beauty without bureaucracy”. Chanticleer is a small, lean organization that institutes high standards across the organization.
Applications will be accepted until January 15th, 2014. Please provide information about your professional goals, expectations of the internship, what dates you are available, if you need housing, and what hourly wage you are hoping to receive. E-mail your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to Chanticleer Internship Program, 786 Church Road, Wayne Pennsylvania, 19087.
Chanticleer Model of Garden Leadership:
- Horticulture staff are the primary designers for their section
- Emphasis on direct interaction between top management and garden staff
- Is a pleasure garden and treats every visitor as a personal guest
- Promotes the education of emerging and existing professionals in the field of horticulture
By working alongside the Horticulture staff, the intern will advance his/her skills as well as contribute to the garden overall. Interns are treated as part of the garden staff.
- 6-9 month position, beginning as early as March 1
- Monday – Friday, 7:30am-4pm & occasional weekend duties
- Hands-on horticultural maintenance
- Study plants, plant care, design and garden management
- Rotate through each section of the garden and perform duties specific to each
- Observe the dynamic of the staff, garden guests, and managers
- Interact with the Grounds Manager and Executive Director
The right candidate will have a passion for learning about the garden, horticulture, plants, and leadership.
- Practical experience in gardening required, formal training and education in horticulture is required
- A proficiency with plants and gardening tasks
- Candidate will demonstrate a commitment to working in the field of horticulture
- Self-starting, industrious candidate is required